BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My car is coming up to an oil service and im looking at the prices they charge compared to what they change. I have looked at prices and i can pick up the parts for cheaper and do it myself (changing more filters etc), but it all comes down to the service book.

Do many people on here service there cars themselves?

How much will it effect the value of my car by doing the services myself?
If i keep all the receipts to prove what has been done, or am i best to just pay full price for a service at a local garage/BMW

Has anyone had much experience with this when coming to sell there car with dealer stamps in the service book?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, My car is coming up to an oil service and im looking at the prices they charge compared to what they change. I have looked at prices and i can pick up the parts for cheaper and do it myself (changing more filters etc), but it all comes down to the service book.

Do many people on here service there cars themselves?

How much will it effect the value of my car by doing the services myself?
If i keep all the receipts to prove what has been done, or am i best to just pay full price for a service at a local garage/BMW

Has anyone had much experience with this when coming to sell there car with dealer stamps in the service book?
the service history book use to be something of value,but these days you can pick up a fully serviced history book on ebay for few quid just fill in your reg and dates and the buyer is none the wiser,thus why most dealership are scrapping the idea of service history books and doing a computerised version,so no one can re produce or make up services that was never done...a friend of mine sold a car ,to this we buy any car people,i had to go pick him up,so i was there when the deal was being done and the bloke from webuyanycar said,anycar below the age of 3/4 yeah you need a service history book to get a better deal but the older the car gets it makes no difference to them whether it has service history or not,,and i aint chatting crapp here,you can ring them up and they will tell you same thing,your car is sold at the current value for what it is..

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I do all my own servicing mate but all my bmws have been old ones.

If i was buying one say 5 year old without dealer history but the seller had a load of receipts and seemed like he loved his car and had looked after it then id be happy with that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see where your coming from, mine is a 2002 E46 so its getting on a bit now, but still looks and feels the part.

BMW want say £120 for oil service (which they change bugger all)

I can change all of the filters apart from fuel was around £70 mark.

I guess doing it myself wont harm it. I do about 4000 miles a year, so servicing will most likely be annual

·
Registered
11 Posts
OP, not worth spending money with that kind of mileage a year. Just DIY and there is lots of help on here if you run into trouble :thumbsup

·
Registered
28 Posts
i diy the servicing on my cars.
saves a small fortune, i learn about my car,know im not getting ripped off and really quite enjoy it.
i also keep every single receipt with the date and mileage of when i did the work.
nothing better than a big stack of receipts for when you sell it on.

·
Registered
947 Posts
E36 and E46 are sooo easy to work on they are a doddle.. almost silly not to do it yourself unless you really can't be bothered or dont have the time. They are a pleasure to work on in fact everything is logically laid out, almost designed for DIY!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are a few filters you can get out there that vary in price range. such as oil filter. Is there much difference in these? more expensive the better i guess?

·
Registered
46 Posts
There are a few filters you can get out there that vary in price range. such as oil filter. Is there much difference in these? more expensive the better i guess?
mate bmw dealership charges just under £10..00 for a oil filter,which is cheap in my books considering its a genuine bmw part,stay away from halfords one..if youve never done one before heres a little clip to show you how easy it is,,enjoy..YouTube - BMW 3 or 5 Series E46 E39 Oil Change DIY

·
Registered
155 Posts
@nelious unfortunately this is where research comes into play.

Seriously... People always say service your self, is it really the best option.

If you A) have time on your hands, B) have a little more time on your hands because your not a mechanic (been following the trade for a while) C) Like tinkering, as in enjoy it D) feel that your time is "free"

Then servicing your own car is for you

Problem you have is you'll probably need to buy a few tools, a lot of people when servicing there own car say they'll do all the filters but only ever get round to the oil etc. etc.

I am personally taking my 2000 reg car to a garage mainly for the purpose of a stamp and receipt as I don't have the time for a full blown service on the other hand I replaced my own water pump saving hundreds of pounds and about to replace my rear discs, pads, and install braided hoses again saving hundreds.

I like to feel that the money I am saving from doing those jobs will pay for the dealer stamp in their own right.

There is no denying that stamps add value but how much value is down to the rest of the car,

If the car has a few parking dings and rips in the seats then its probably going to be meaningless if the car is in perfect condition you could hope for up to 10% mark up from another minter without the information.

The thing is on forums a lot of people say oh it doesn't matter to me i'll buy a car based on receipts, which is very true for a selection of people - However how many people who want to buy your car are going to know there way around a car? The majority of drivers don't care walk in with a check list: FSH? last service? tyre wear? marks on the car? etc. and that will affect their purchase.

I guess it depends on your investment on the car how long you plan to keep, are you looking to retain more value/open it for a easier sale?

Are you actually going to keep the receipts and keep them safe? I know I've lost them in the past for previous cars.

No one is the same and who knows when it comes time to sell you may find a guy who totally falls in love with your car.

On the other hand you may find a guy who has a lot of cash turns up and goes that'll do my kid/wife/fling and any problems I can just pay.

Everyone's different and service stamps do add a bit but not alot and probably less than what you'd save doing it yourself!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Gonna buck the trend here. Not fastidious about it being a BMW history, but I like to see stamps.

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
My only problem with home servicing is whether it was done correctly and with using the correct oils and filters. Looking through this forum, there are some excellent mechanics on here but also several numbnuts that I wouldn't let within 3 miles of my car. How do you tell? At least with a dealer stamp you assume it's been done to a proper standard.
I do agree on an older car it makes very little difference to the selling price, but for my peace of mind I would not by a car without service history unless I personally knew the owner.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My only problem with home servicing is whether it was done correctly and with using the correct oils and filters. Looking through this forum, there are some excellent mechanics on here but also several numbnuts that I wouldn't let within 3 miles of my car. How do you tell? At least with a dealer stamp you assume it's been done to a proper standard.
I do agree on an older car it makes very little difference to the selling price, but for my peace of mind I would not by a car without service history unless I personally knew the owner.
The service stamps are nearly worthless unless you want to claim the warranty to get something replaced. Having several friends in the trade the stories i hear are shocking. I'd much rather buy from a fastidious DIYer.
My own personal experience of dealer servicing has never been good and that's with several different makes of car. I always make a point of checking the car after any service, i've found various things lying loose under the bonnet i.e. a newspaper, a bath towel, spanners, a ratchet as well as bolts lying loose on the wings. Airbox lid not secured, parts not fitted correctly, missing clips, parts not replaced when they should have been, the list goes on.
There are good mechanics out there and if you find one shout it from the roof tops, unfortunately my experience has very rarely been good in nearly 22 years of owning cars and bikes.
I service my own vehicles as far as i can using parts i choose to fit (rather than hoping the garage fits decent quality parts), i take my time to ensure the job is done properly.
Just my opinion i know but the servicing industry is rife with poorly trained/supervised mechanics, there are some great mechanics out there but unfortunately they are in the minority.
It gets even worse when my wife or sister take their cars in for work, they usually get some **** and bull story that the car is about to fall apart unless they spend lots of money.

Just my cynical jaded opinion but i will never trust main dealers/garages. Much better if you can find a reliable small garage where they can't afford to do a bad job.

Jim.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I do my own. I'd rather spend the money on shiny new tools than give it to a dealer. I know I've done it properly with good parts too!

A basic oil service is all but trivial. To be fair though, I am in the happy position of having a big workshop behind my house, all the right tools, and a background in the motor trade (electrics granted, but you still have to take things apart). It's probably not for everybody.

On the point of buying a car - I want to be convinced that somebody has actually changed the oil at reasonable intervals and fixed stuff that breaks. That's more of a feeling deep down than just mindlessly believing a book with stamps in it.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
i have had some bad experiences with dealers doing services on cars, with things they should of done and said they did but never, so the service is pretty useless,

But you only have to look at what people want when buying a car, from posts on here,
full service history!

even though its worthless people are going to belive the stamp in a book over some bloke trying to sell the car swearing on the life they service it there selfs every 10k miles

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was unsure wheather to service my 320d myself or take to the garage! It was up for an inspection 1, and I was quoted £170+. After thinking long and hard about this, I went onto Eurocarparts and ordered the Air filter, Oil Filter & Fuel Filter and I picked up some 5w30 oil from my local Wilcos (where I get discount) In total i spent £70 on parts and serviced the car on Saturday! This is the first time I have serviced a BMW and I was surprised how easy it was, even the fuel filter! I now have a feeling of great satisfaciton knowing that I have done this myself, its been done properly, not by a spotty teenager and that I have saved myself over a hundred quid! Based on this, I would say if your car is getting on a bit and you are handy with some spanners, then do it yourself!

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I was unsure wheather to service my 320d myself or take to the garage! It was up for an inspection 1, and I was quoted £170+. After thinking long and hard about this, I went onto Eurocarparts and ordered the Air filter, Oil Filter & Fuel Filter and I picked up some 5w30 oil from my local Wilcos (where I get discount) In total i spent £70 on parts and serviced the car on Saturday! This is the first time I have serviced a BMW and I was surprised how easy it was, even the fuel filter! I now have a feeling of great satisfaciton knowing that I have done this myself, its been done properly, not by a spotty teenager and that I have saved myself over a hundred quid! Based on this, I would say if your car is getting on a bit and you are handy with some spanners, then do it yourself!
I hope that was LL04 spec oil :)

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
i have had some bad experiences with dealers doing services on cars, with things they should of done and said they did but never, so the service is pretty useless,

But you only have to look at what people want when buying a car, from posts on here,
full service history!

even though its worthless people are going to belive the stamp in a book over some bloke trying to sell the car swearing on the life they service it there selfs every 10k miles
It occurs to me that I nearly always end up chipping my cars into the local BMW dealer for a replacement. They have *never* looked at the service book. It should probably tell me something about trade-in values that they don't care.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts