BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I need your advice. I picked up my second hand Z4 yesterday and took it of a longer run. On the way back there was clunking noise at lower speeds (1st, 2nd gear, it's an automatic, the 6 speed one). Then I noticed rough idle. It gets pretty bad and the car is shaking. I stopped the car and pressed the accelerator, and the clunking, rough idle happened, and eventually engine check light came up on the dash and car shut down.

Now, I thought these are port injection and don't suffer from carbon buildup (amongst many other reasons that's why I went with this v6, and it's N52 I believe, but might be wrong.
The garage/dealer gave me 1 year warranty and ensured me the car is top notch position.

I'm gonna see the garage tomorrow, try reproduce the issue.

Is this something they can really fix or am I better off to return it altogether?

I'm quite distressed, because I the car cost lots of money and I part-exchanged my old volvo which was randomly shutting off, but second day of driving and turns out I've got a lemon.

What should I do?

Cheers!

·
Registered
333 Posts
You need to really take it back to the dealer so that they can look and fix it. Also don’t think you’ve got a v6 but a straight 6.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@IAmATeaf yes, it's a straight 6!
@alan_G

The car was dead the morning after, they took it and diagnosed Vanos that they want to replace now. They promised to use genuine new BMW parts. I can still walk away from the deal and they dropped me an email promising to cover cost of finance in case I rejected the car after the 14 day cooling off period I have after which I'd have to pay humongous amounts of interest.

The finance is in my name though.

The question remains, is it worth to take the car with free (expensive) new Vanos, it will be on warranty for a year, or should I just forget about it and try finding another Z4 (which are next to none around where I live, and the garage I bough it from has excellent reputation).

So far they want to keep it until next week and gave me a courtesy car...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts