BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my screenwash bottle ran dry and I got the warning light on the dash. So I filled it up using supermarket screenwash at the weekend. Today whilst driving the washer jets were not working, I could hear the motor but there was little more than a trickle from the jets. After a bit of research it seems that the pump filter may be blocked. I disconnected the tube and blew down it to try and clear the blockage which has worked for now, jets are working fine. But I’m guessing the problem will come back.

Is there anything else I can try to prevent it happening? I did read that you are only supposed to use genuine bmw screenwash, is this true and if so why?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
ive only ever put ecp triple qx screenwash in my e46 for 5 years,,,also put it in my e90 bit only had that for 7 months..the screenwash works out really cheap..its around £2.50 for 5litres concentrate.delivered,and this makes 10-15 litres depending on strength diluted ...

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah cool, i’ll order some of that.

I didn’t have time to do much with it today other than clear the blockage which worked. But I guess when the gunk settles it’ll block again. This weekend I was going to try flushing it out by putting the hosepipe down the filler tube then maybe cleaning it with some hot water and pulling it through the jets. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
195 Posts
drop a couple of streradent tablets in the water tank - seriously. i did this a couple of times on my wife's old jag when this used to happen. tip some boiling water in as well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've bought some cars in the past that have had blocked up washer jets/pipes (white residue) guess that's down to cheap screenwash. I've always used Halfords screenwash and never had a problem with clogging.

Although I might start using BMW stuff if it's not too expensive.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Different makes of screen-wash when mixed will go into a gelly.
Seen this happen loads on the forums.
Use the streradent tablets in the water tank with hot water leave it in the system (draw some through at the start) for a few hours then run it out again through the washers.
Stick to the same brand and you won't have any more problems i use the triple qx stuff in both of my car's and it does the job.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Interesting read this.

I've got exactly the same problem at the moment and I'm sure its from using cheap washer fluid :frown

Looks like I'm going to be raiding the parents' bathroom cabinet for some Steredent tablets next time I'm over there :rofl

J:)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have the tablets at the ready and am just waiting for my replacement antibacterial screenwash to arrive in the post. Hopefully be able to sort it this weekend.

Another quick question, do I put the tablets in the bottle as it is or would I need to flush it with clean water first?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Okay, I tried this over the weekend.

Drained as much screenwash out as possible (considering the washers are pretty much blocked) and then plonked 2 Steradent tablets in (cheers Dad!) and then filled up with boiling water from the kettle.

Left it a couple of minutes to fizz away and then tried to pump as much of it through the washers as possible.

Have to say that it pretty much didn't improve matters at all.

Put more boiling water in and tried again and there seems to be a marginal improvement, but only slight (I know have a tiny trickle rather than nothing at all).

Should I try more Steradent tablets and more boiling water seeing as the blockage is obviously quite bad, or can any suggest something different that hopefully doesn't involve dismantling the whole thing?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Okay, I tried this over the weekend.

Drained as much screenwash out as possible (considering the washers are pretty much blocked) and then plonked 2 Steradent tablets in (cheers Dad!) and then filled up with boiling water from the kettle.

Left it a couple of minutes to fizz away and then tried to pump as much of it through the washers as possible.

Have to say that it pretty much didn't improve matters at all.

Put more boiling water in and tried again and there seems to be a marginal improvement, but only slight (I know have a tiny trickle rather than nothing at all).

Should I try more Steradent tablets and more boiling water seeing as the blockage is obviously quite bad, or can any suggest something different that hopefully doesn't involve dismantling the whole thing?

You should pump a bit through to get it in the pipes and then leave it to work for 2 or 3 hours.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Jerry, lift the bonnet and disconnect the pipe just below the the windscreen on the drivers side. Blow down the pipe for a bit and see if it unblocks, mine did. I emptied out the old screenwash (takes a while) and then did the steradent trick. Emptied again and then filled with good quality stuff. All sorted.

I left the steradent for about 4 hours. Also, I found that if you just hold the stalk in the motor will cut out and then it takes a few minutes before it works again so short bursts are better.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
ive had this on other cars..sometimes the clip under the washer jet(uner bonnet) comes loose..ive tried this and it didnt work,,but tried again and noticed it needed a much firmer push to click back in,hey presto it worked ..just a thought.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
ive had this on other cars..sometimes the clip under the washer jet(uner bonnet) comes loose..ive tried this and it didnt work,,but tried again and noticed it needed a much firmer push to click back in,hey presto it worked ..just a thought.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts