BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my car and in the past have had many scam emails from previous car sales I have carried out. The latest is as follows:

"Thanks for the prompt response i will like to buy the car for my Sonas a birthday gift and I am currently at an industry exhibition as aengineer I really want the goods to be a surprise for my Son so iwont let him know anything about the goods until it gets delivered tohim, i am sure he will be more than happy with the Product.i willneed you to give me your PayPal email address and the price so i canmake the payments asap for the goods and pls if you don't have PayPalaccount yet, it is very easy to set up, go to www.paypal.co.uk and getit set up, after you have set it up i will only need the e-mailaddress you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the moneythrough."

How does this scam work then?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am currently at an industry exhibition as aengineer ...

And he writes like that ?...:lol

That's an alarm bell ringing right there...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Is it to do with the fact that after the sale they can put a claim in and re-coupe the money? Seen it with ebay a lot... not sure though to be honest!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no intention to follow this up and it clearly says scam all over it. I am currently stringing them along, it will be fun!

·
Registered
74 Posts
As far as i know ( i could be wrong) but they hack someone elses account and make the payment, then the payment takes 3 days to bounce and the money and the goods are gone.. That's what i was told anyway..

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
They send the money, you send the car, they receive the car, they reverse the charges and get their money back.

He's an engineer ? Good English for an engineer !

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Actually if you hover over, but don't click on, the link to set up an account in the original you will probably find thetool tip box that pops up shows the URL of a different address, so you think you know what you click, go elsewhere and set up an account which may include giving info of your bank details, ta daa, you would have entered everything they needed yourself.

This is called social engineering. The only thing that gets hacked is you. These are not technical attacks they rely on manners and those social graces conditione into us to not be polite and to behave normally and use these things against you.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
This is called social engineering. The only thing that gets hacked is you. These are not technical attacks they rely on manners and those social graces conditione into us to not be polite and to behave normally and use these things against you.
Yes, this does happen - But I didn't think this was the case in the OP's situation, as I would suspect that the bad spelling of the email would also be on website, which would surely give the game away ?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Still social engineering but they work on the card company instead to reverse.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
Is it to do with the fact that after the sale they can put a claim in and re-coupe the money? Seen it with ebay a lot... not sure though to be honest!
+1 - He can raise a PayPal dispute and get the money back upto 40+ days after the payment has cleared!

...even if the money's in your account and you've spent it!!! :eek

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
sometimes if ya quick ya can see the original website for a nano second before it masks and redirects to a fake one of it..

happened to me years ago but i pinged the source of it and it was being routed thru a university computer in mexico, so i emailed them and told them there computers were hacked or being used as a bot..

·
Registered
183 Posts
You are all wrong guys . Ill tell you how it all works . Just to clarify - NO im not a scammer i was selling my 523i few weeks ago and i had a lot of scam mails which i have replied to , just to have some fun :hihi

Firs of all you always get some stupid email from a buyer thats ready to pay for the car immediately even without trying to knock down the price a bit .... weird isnt it ? Then you get a fake PayPal email confirming that the payment has been made . After you have "received " the payment you have to pay a agent or shipping fee that varies from £300 to £900 . Please note , you have to send the money by Western Union , apparently the shipping agents dont use bank transfers or PayPal , they want the money by Western Union because simply ...... no one can trace them . And here is a picture of my last "PayPal" payment . Enjoy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts