BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
We was asked why did we not remove the rear and front windscreens?
More of a question was, why do you need to?

Everything which can be un-boltable will be removed to assist the job.
However the front and rear windscreens are glued down which means cutting out with a serrated cable. Easy job to do however as you can imagine, when you drag a serrated cable across a metal panel and glass it grinds and chips away causing some damage.
Then after you've removed the glass, you'll then spend a few hours scraping out the left over adhesive just to get to the gutter which is un necessary painted.
Further more glass can't be stuck down to a freshly painted surface as the paint needs to degas for a few days otherwise you'll risk the customer finding his windscreen may pop out as they drive home.
Bottom line is if it aint broke, don't fix it.

There are different levels of resprays which we do ranging from individual partial panels to total a total strip down to the bare shell and sprayed.
The only time we remove the front and rear glass is when:
-the glass it's self needs replacing.
-a total colour change and the car is being sprayed inside and out.
-repair work is needed in the window guttering it self and the glass is obstructing.

As you can imagine, the cost greatly varies depending on the task from £100 to the sky's your limit.
If you want your engine, glass, interior, transmission, front and rear subframe, suspension and entire electrical and fuel cabling off then we'd gladly do it providing you're aware of the scale of the job and cost involved and you know it's necessary or not.
This is why we always give a detailed consultation explaining what we will and will not do depending on your budget and for us to advise what is or is not necessary for your particular job.
We don't offer a flat rate budget £800 respray like the local phil, bob and paddy because we know every job is different and should be done with great care and attention to detail.

What we've done with Bens car is remove all the removable weather trims and blasted all the dirt out. What's left on the car is totally sealed so there's no dirt build left unattended.
Any trims which could not be removed is tucked in to reveal a few more mm's of surface and then carefully masked off to avoid paint bleeding and paint stepping to the trims.

Notice how over the progress pics we've masked the car several times. This is to avoid contamination from rubbing compound to to ensure our booth is as clean as possible when spraying. You will not find any bin liners or newspapers and we don't skimp on materials too. :)

Since we've primed the doors, we've removed them off the car ready to be sprayed.
With our adaptable booth, everything was hung up and the car rolled in and sprayed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I think I should post a few more pics because it has gone a bit further. Also before someone screams, I should point out that the bonnet is not being resprays. This is because it's being replaced with something we're making on the side.

Anyway. More piccies.
The compound rub after the clear coat.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Guys, fantastic work!! I think you may have won a customer here :D!! Same you are so far away from me but... Mate around here there is no one that cares!! It really bugs me!!

Anyways, I have a question! I am rebuilding my car from the ground up and would you guys be able to put my car on one of those spinny things so you can get to the underside, de-rust eveything (mainly surface rust) and paint/underseal the bottom?!

To give you an idea it will be just a rolling shell with all the supension arms, freshly powder coated with new everything... even bolts from BMW!!!

Cheers lads!

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Hi Mike
I totally understand what you mean. I drive miles just to go to my regular who has a proper machine which can change low profile tyres without scraping my alloys.
Finding a good body shop is the same which is why we're very forum based so we can get connected with real people and to understand what people really want.
PM me your email Mike and I'll get Taras to drop you a few ideas.

·
Registered
459 Posts
It is nice to know there are still some people out there!! :D I work in the motortrade too, not body shop but I work at a VAG tuner, we are the same very honest and go on word of mouth as much as possible!

Anyway mate, I will send you the PM with my email!!

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks Mike. Taras will be in touch.
I should also point out that our trade insurance allows us to pick up and deliver customer cars within a reasonable distance at a cost of course.
Also we have access to a flat bed truck for the non runners should anyone need it. our driver is quite prepared to go to the midlands providing you're willing to cover the cost of pick up and delivery.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The slow process of piecing Bens car back together began this week. First with the doors back.

Firstly lets take a look at the paint work after it's been polished and all shiny
The flared arches are no longer wavy and bumpy. The reflective surface would make it easy to see wavy dimples but after we're done with it, the arches are totally smooth.

Again special attention to the lines of the car and close ups of the more angled surfaces.
Not a single paint run or over spray especially along the belly of the car.

Now remember the massive rust patch at the A pillar? Despite having to grind off a chunk it's like it was never there.

And I don't think I showed the worst par before. The rear wheel arch where the skirts covered the biggest rust patch looked like this:

Now after grinding it off, treated both sides and sealed the inside and painted

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
So then the front and rear bumper goes on. First of all I would like to say I find it really weird that most of the panels where held on by spire clips and self tapping screws. When putting the front grill on which mounts to the wings, it didn't quite line up. Turns out the bracket holding it down was bent so I removed it and with a few adjustments bolted the bracket with a M6 hex nut and bolts, it lined up much better.

The fresh grill and new fogs:

one thing I simply had to replace was the push plugs. I replaced all the plugs with reversible plugs

Now the bumpers are on and starting to look normal again.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Guys! Looking amazing!! I look forward to hearing from Taras about mine!!

Really nice work! Keep it up :)

Mike

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Its been over a week since Ben had collected his car. What a happy man he was.
However we've been swamped in with other work so I've not had time to show the final pics of his car till now.
So here it is.

As you can see we work late into the nights to make sure our work is done.

As a bit on the side we re-painted his kidney grills for free

Everything taken off was reassembled in the reverse order and we've cleaned every single trim and bracket as we go.

on the day Ben came to collect the car the lip was installed along with the front lights which was the last thing left.

The close ups

41 - 60 of 99 Posts