BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I’m toying with the idea of putting a rollcage into my e36 saloon. But I’d like to do it in such a way that the interior is intact, ie: still has back seats etc.
I’m fairly sure in Ireland to pass an nct the roll cage must be welded to the frame. Would it be possible do you think to take out the interior, weld in a cage. Then get the whole lot back in neatly with some holes cut in carpets or what have you?

I’ve been wondering has anyone done or attempted this even?

Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
Depends how deep your wallet is. We did it all the time for Landrovers, Discoveries, Range Rovers, etc

As you say though, some countries might have different rules, so make sure that what work you do or get done is to specifications, not to someone's interpretation of specs ... It might not be the MOT you need to satisfy as well, it might be the rules for vehicle modification and registration and possibly Type Approval, depending how you go about it.

Do some research on the formalities first, in fact a lot of research, to make sure that what you plan to do will pass inspection. We always built to off-road racing spec so it was always one step (at least) above the MOT/Type Approval specs for registration and insurance.

I do know people who just throw rollcages in, don't tell anyone and have no trouble. The trouble comes in an accident or if you're pulled for a minor offence by police and documents/insurance is checked .. and if the police know what they're looking at!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts