BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving on the M25 the other night and doing normal motorway speed (promise!!), the trucks had been out a little earlier and sprayed the motorway with salt for the night ahead.

As i was driving i could hear the salt/grit hitting my car :jaw-dropping and it nearly made me cry thinking how much damage it was potentially causing my paintwork!! It sounded like i was driving through gravel. I couldn't really slow down on the motorway even though i really wanted to slam on the brakes :frown

I am very reluctant taking the car out now while the weather is so bad.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The loose type of stuff can cause stone chips. I just keep a large gap from the vehicle infront to minimise the chance of paintwork damage/issues. (Never fails to amaze me at how stupidly close people drive in general to the car infront even though their car is being showered in crap :confused).

The salt itself is lethal stuff and should be washed away as often as possible. I used to ride my motorbike in winter (snow, ice etc). With all the components pretty much exposed to the conditions you could see it eating all over the bike trying to set corrosion in. I used to wash it down after every ride!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I know what you mean.... when i saw the snow yesterday i got the mrs to take me to work so i didnt have to take it out on the roads!! The car doesnt stay clean for five minutes in this weather!!

By the way off topic but really liking your signature strip :cool... did mine today but looks crap in comparison!!! :frown

·
Registered
63 Posts
Wow, you guys here in the UK have no idea what salt damage on a car is until you've lived for a few years in Canada. :) People basically drive around in a car coated with salt for 4-5 months of the year. The sound you're hearing is probably just the sand / grit being kicked up into the wheel well.

Yeah, it's not good, but just make sure to clean her regularly and get a nice coat of wax on there on your next wash.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I know what you mean.... when i saw the snow yesterday i got the mrs to take me to work so i didnt have to take it out on the roads!! The car doesnt stay clean for five minutes in this weather!!

By the way off topic but really liking your signature strip :cool... did mine today but looks crap in comparison!!! :frown
are you kidding? i looked out the window and jumped up and down, couldnt wait to get out in it lol

·
Registered
478 Posts
Collinite is my secret weapon, 2-3 coats of that and your paintwork is virtually 'bullet proof', it takes about 5 minutes to jetwash my whole car clean as everything just flows off, it also gives about 4 months odd finish/protection (more if you get the higher wax, I have the deep shine for dark colours, whereas they do another that gives 6 months protection). Where possible I add at least 5-6 coats often more, all over the car, and this keeps my paint safe from all but stonechips.

May I also chime in that something like Bilthamber wash is also a good idea, because it has good corrosion protection in it, which is a mercy in this weather with the gritters out.

Tom

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts

Someone will give you a hand tweaking your sig pic if you post up in open topic :)

·
Registered
753 Posts
MY Volvo c30 hire car is currently white, it should be black lol. had to clean the lights off to see where i was going. I hate dirty cars but well seeingas the car isnt mine... Also had a brown trouser moment in it on the way to work on monday not used to driving front wheel drive cars in the snow and it kinda nearly didnt turn on a corner. I used to hate taking the e46 out in this weather and getting it covered in all the crap thats on the roads :frown

·
Registered
28 Posts
I must be the most hated member as i do gritting on a14 /a45:frown but surely u guys should be happy for it as rear wheel drive and ice doesnt mix too well:lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
i had the same thiing.... i was goin to london on new yrs... and this same thiing happend.. they were spraying salt in the night time.... i dint take much care abt this i was doing abt 75ish @ tht time.. and believe me the nxt day when i woke up and looked at the car....it was as if the headlights had been sprayed with white paint .........there isnt much u can abt it i suppose other than just slow down.....but then again .. u cant slow rite down....

·
Registered
11 Posts
I must be the most hated member as i do gritting on a14 /a45:frown but surely u guys should be happy for it as rear wheel drive and ice doesnt mix too well:lol
Keep your distance with your fellow Beemer drivers mr cheese :thumbsup.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Really?

You must be doing it wrong.
ok schumacher you think you can control your car in black ice i would pay to see that i think you should stop talking out of your arse;) and you drive a 318 that would struggle to drift in the rain go back to playing gran turismo:thumbsup

·
Registered
24 Posts
will dull off your paint etc if left too long, also will do more damage to your underside components that dont get washed off...... leaving salt on pretty unpretected metal compnents such as wishbones and rollbars just invites rust.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Which is why I use the water based waxes you can buy mixed in a garden sprayer to coat my underside after washing. The damage underneath is quite extensive to all cars that are driven in crap weather.

Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.