BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another problem...they do keep coming...

When driving I have a whining noise which appears to come from the front of the car. :frown
It is road speed dependent and doesn't go away if in neutral or clutch in providing car is rolling.
It reaches peak annoyance at about 40mph regardless of gear or load.
It nearly disappears if the steering moves very slightly to the left but comes back harsher on right hand turns.

I convinced myself it was the front nearside wheel bearing and replaced that today.....test drive and noise is still there!!!:mad

The car is on run flats and tyre pressures were at recommended settings.

Can anyone suggest anything else to look for?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Could also be the rears....wheel bearings are notoriously hard to diagnose which one! i.e as you turn it loads the rear wheels too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

I thought that, however both rears felt good when jacked off floor, admittedly hard to tell without load however the noise definitely comes from the front.
When turning right, even slightly, the noise increases and a slight vibration can be felt.
Carrying two separate passengers they both said the noise was definitely coming from the front....So loading the left side and noise from the front convinced me it was the left, nearside, front.
Except it wasn't!
I will check the offside and probably replace it this weekend however the way this car is going I expect I will replace all the bearings and it will still be there....

Anyone advise on an easy way to do the rear bearings, recommend pullers or know the size of the bearing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts