BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Reverse camera fitting

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  JasonmCork 
#1 ·
I have just bought a 420i xdrive. It doesn’t have a reverse camera and I was wondering if you can get one put in by the dealers or if you have to get an after market one ?

Anyone got any advice??

Thanks
Bc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I've just bought a kit for my wife's X1. It came "unofficially recommended" by my BMW dealership, and they seem to be the suppliers of camera kits to the dealerships in Scotland.

Google Empirical In Car Technology and you will find the site, its called In Car Install

Hopefully I'm installing it this week so will let you know how it goes.

Hope this helps,

Simon

#4 ·
SO, I fitted the reversing camera yesterday. The kit came with a USB stick containing both the written instructions and a massive series of step by step photos, specific to the X1. The whole process was seamless and trouble free. Everything was plug and play., no cutting of wires etc.The only "difficult" bit is running the cable through the boot gaiter, and removing the boot handle, but when I say "difficult", I mean more time consuming than everything else. The whole process took about 2.5 hours.

Apart from a few cable ties (I like to keep things tidy) the only tools you will need are a T20 torx screwdriver, and a pair of bojo's (panel release tools) If you are not sure what they are, then pop into your local Halfords and ask one of the fitters to show you one from their toolbox. They are not expensive, and are useful to have. Also a cable runner, although I use a length of that net curtain wire that is plastic coated.

I will definitely be getting 2 more kits for the 320 and my 435 GC

Hope this is of use, Happy to answer any questions, although the guys from the company are exceptionally helpful.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.