BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have come across some steering wheel re-trimming services and the thought of having an alcantara steering wheels keeps playing on my mind. Perhaps just on the sides or on the top?

Has anyone had their steering re-trimmed? If so, do you mind posting any pics?

What are your opinions? Would it suit the car or would it make it look tacky?

Thanks All

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hi 8er-Din
I had the same thoughts. Still not done anything about it yet.
I am not convinced that alcanrara would be up to the job of dealing with my sweaty mits and would soon get tired?
I swapped my original for another standard one in better condition and will likely have the original recovered in leather, but with extra padding to give a thicker grip, as modern ones are.
I have seen a couple done by Royal steering wheels and they look good.
Sorry i can't remember who it was on here that posted pics, they will dib in with a bit of luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply e31gixxxer

Funny you mention Royal Steering Wheels. My friend is currently having his M3 steering wheel re-trimmed by them. They seem very good! I'll take a look at the insta page and see if they have any e31 type steering wheels with some alcantara on. Just want to know what it looks like. If not then maybe just leather with M coloured stiching.

Lets hope someone can had theirs done and can post some pics

·
Registered
163 Posts
I suppose alcantara would be ok if the car doesn't get much use. But if you use the car regularly I would imagine it would get dirty and wear pretty quickly. It would give a unique look though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only really in use during the very short Spring and Summer we have. I'll see if I can find some examples and will upload for opinions.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I had my 911 gear lever and integral gaiter re-done by Royal several years ago after mice ate the original. Top job, done quickly and at reasonable cost so I was very pleased.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts