BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a spare key as my car only came with 1 diamond key and the valet key.

Bought a genuine 2nd hand key from ebay and a pattern key blank. I planned to reprogramme the chip in 2nd hand key to my car, get the blank cut and combine the two.

I reprogrammed the 2nd hand key using the standard method shown here: How to program your BMW remote key fobs to your car - E46 DIY (Guides only) - E46 Zone Forum

Worked OK- both keys make the locks bounce up and down indicating success. But the 'lock' (middle) button on the 2nd hand key doesn't work. It unlocks the car and the boot fine though.

The switch for the middle button must work as you need to press it 3 times to reprogramme the key.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump any ideas?

The middle switch must be working as you need to press it to reprogram.

Do I need to re-code an option to allow central locking?? Seems odd

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They both say 433.92 MHz

The only slight difference is the 2nd hand key has raised inscriptions on the buttons. The key which came with the car has printed symbols on.

·
Vendor
4,307 Posts
Try to recode the keys again to the car

·
Registered
1 Posts
Middle button won't lock doors after battery change

I wanted a spare key as my car only came with 1 diamond key and the valet key.

Bought a genuine 2nd hand key from ebay and a pattern key blank. I planned to reprogramme the chip in 2nd hand key to my car, get the blank cut and combine the two.

I reprogrammed the 2nd hand key using the standard method shown here: How to program your BMW remote key fobs to your car - E46 DIY (Guides only) - E46 Zone Forum

Worked OK- both keys make the locks bounce up and down indicating success. But the 'lock' (middle) button on the 2nd hand key doesn't work. It unlocks the car and the boot fine though.

The switch for the middle button must work as you need to press it 3 times to reprogramme the key.

Any ideas??
I have made some progress in understanding why the middle button won't activate the c/locking. Maybe someone can put a little more meat on the bones.
One of my two diamond keys only intermittently started the car.
I changed the battery to a pan vl 2020 rechargeable.
Wouldn't work so I reinitialized it with the 5 ignition cycles and holding open button and pressing lock button etc. It cycled the door locks ok.
Wouldn't lock the doors but did everything else.
Tried my other working key and it also stopped working!! (wouldn't lock the doors)
So did the new battery key upset the car?
Is the new battery key faulty now?
I eventually just started it with the known working one and went for a drive. Came home the doors started to lock!! no problems.
So I presume that the charging circuit in the car is some capacitive type where a flat key battery will deplete it completely putting the car into a fault mode that doesn't allow locking by key. By using the known good one it didnt need a lot of charging and the charging circuit recovered with the short drive.
However the new battery key may be so flat that it needs a lot longer to charge? Well an hours drive and it still did nt change the fact the it wouldnt lock the car.
So my question is, can one key be singled out by the car to not lock??
All the buttons work on the new battery key so I will try a few more hours of driving to charge it further but it does seem excessive? It seems that we both have the same problem... can anyone add to this?
Many thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts