BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Its a can of worms mate.:frown
Unless its something very simple, i personally wouldnt get involved. Im in the trade as well, even i would avoid. :hihi
See what other peoples opinions are though :thumbsup

·
Registered
401 Posts
if its for personal use then do it if its to make money then stay well back, unless you are already clued up on fixing motors like that just leave it alone.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
FRONTAL,BONNET,F/BUMPER,H.LAMPS,WINGS,F/WHEELS,N/S/F SUSP,ROOF,SUMP CRACKED,ENGINE MOUNTINGS,ENGINE SUSP BED,O/S AIRBAG,EXTRA`S PRIVACY GLASS ,SAT NAV , V5 DOC, FULL SERVICE HISTORY, START. CAT X
NO wonder the insurers wrote it off!!

If the suspension is bent it will need jigging or worse....

I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole personally.
To sell it without telling someone its a write off is not only unscrupulous but also illegal.

Meaning you take a big drop on price for it being a Cat D damaged car (altho it says cat x whatever that is)

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I am not suprised that this vehicle is a write off - looks like it will come with lots of hidden extras..... A Cracked sump, that could hold lots of nasty problems in itself!

Add to that the kink in the roof and it would have to be a jig job I would think...

IMO no matter who it is for I would stay well clear of it.. Parts bill alone will run into thousands (even 2nd hand - if you can get them).

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Trouble is even second hand parts will be costly to get of, then you have the hidden extras, throw in some paid professional work (roof? jigging etc), + a couple of grand for painting and the car should be worth 70% less than a straight car in the same condition.

All salavge yards always want a lot for the damaged cars, so once the repair work is done and the car is complete, its usually owing more than what it would have cost to buy a straight car in the first place.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Don't throw good money at bad.
I'm not in the trade but even I can see that is going to be a bottomless well that swallows up a fair few pounds.

Keep emotions one side and think - there's a beter one around the corner. :thumbsup

Sorry to sound blunt but, even for personal use (if it were me)
I wouldn't get in.

NO.:thumbsup

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks like the previos owner tried to park it in an Alley. LOL
i agree, this car is a money pit,
find a less dinged model.
if its for personal use, it doesn't need to be that low mileage, these engines will be good for ages.
Beware of any cars which have sustained damage to the engine in an accident.
You dont know at what point the engine broke. it was probably still turning,! so it cud hav damaged internals, which wud make this a pointless venture.

To anyone buying a accident damaged car;
Even a belt(cambelt) missing/slipped broken could spell disaster for an engine.
(Some cars have also have a belt driven water pump)
Best to steer away from cars that need Jigging, unless you have a friend in that trade.
and they better be good.
or you'll be going through tyres, bushes, bearings quicker then normal.

Does any body know what happens to an Auto-box when it is still in engaged during an accident? (by engaged, i also mean that sometimes the driver may not have been on the brakes yet)
Couldnt that damage some components ie torque converters etc?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.