BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
My missus' car got written off (thankfully) by some t*** plowing into the back of her, and she's getting a surprisingly hefty payout from the insurance.

A cousin of mine who works in the trade is getting her a '99 (I think) Renault Laguna which he says in minted for the age.

But she just texted me from work saying people there are filling her head with horror stories about Renaults, specifically about electrics, so I said I'd ask here and see what's what.

Anyone know if she should go for this or pass on it? Worth bearing in mind that top-line budget for new set of wheels would be about £1500.

Any help appreciated. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Put it this way, French cars haven't gained a bad reputation for no reason. OK granted, most peoples opinion will just be whatever Clarkson says and won't be based on personal experience at all, but on the whole they're not the best built cars.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put it this way, French cars haven't gained a bad reputation for no reason. OK granted, most peoples opinion will just be whatever Clarkson says and won't be based on personal experience at all, but on the whole they're not the best built cars.
Well, I ran a Citroen AX for 10 years, 90K miles, and apart from consumables and the odd thing here and there, it was pretty much flawless.

My dad's running one now, which goes well too, albeit it's not much of a drive.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Newer french cars arnt too bad, but from experiance, they are expensive to fix if they go wrong and beleive me they will go wrong :D

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Don't get me wrong, you can get good ones but it's a bit hit and miss. Also don't forget that an AX is pretty simple so there's not much to go wrong.
By all means, if it's mint with a great service history and proof it's been cared for then you'll be more than happy with it. The problem is that when they go wrong, the smallest jobs tend to result in much bigger jobs due to....gallic charm shall we say.

I had a Peugeot 405 once: worst car I ever owned in terms of problems.
I also had a Citroen Xantia with a rare engine and the hydropnumatic suspension and that was a great car!
Then back on form I had a 206 which had it's niggles.

Reactions: GordonJ

·
Registered
701 Posts
Worked on a fair few French cars, ALL of them have been a pain. Poorly built, badly designed - even the simplest of things can take an age to fix for the time that is involved getting them to bits. Even simple things - i had a Citreon C5 with a blown bulb i had to remove the airbox to get it changed!

Im not sure if it goes back to the 99 models but the laguna is bad for back subframe bushings, they are a press in bush straight into the rear axel - i've divissed a way of doing both in an hour but most garages will charge 3 + for doing the job. They don't last long either.

I really would avoid anything French. As said they have bad reps for a reason.

·
Registered
884 Posts
My Gti-6......french.....didnt break down once in 4 years. Not once.

My friends brother had a 51 plate Laguna petrol turbo..........was a complete nightmare. Must have spent at least two grand on diagnostics.

Gti-6 was fun as well.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Glad your missus is alright mate :thumbsup

I almost had the same happen to me tonight! Was indicating to turn at a junction and the young muppet behind me in a punto slammed on his breaks and almost hit me, the only plus is he went up the verge to avoid doing so - which is good news. Got the impression that they were a new driver, quite a young lad. Hopefully that scare made him realise he isn't Colin McRae.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad your missus is alright mate :thumbsup

I almost had the same happen to me tonight! Was indicating to turn at a junction and the young muppet behind me in a punto slammed on his breaks and almost hit me, the only plus is he went up the verge to avoid doing so - which is good news. Got the impression that they were a new driver, quite a young lad. Hopefully that scare made him realise he isn't Colin McRae.
Hehehe, cheers mate. Glad the muppet missed you, too.

Yeah, she walked away more or less unscathed.... bit of whiplash, you know. ;)

In all honesty, it looks like it'll be the best day's work she's ever done; newer, bigger, nicer, safer, faster car essentially for free, and most probably a few hundred quid into the bargain for injury sustained.

Quids-in, as far as I'm concerned! :lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
I owned a pug 306 1.4, it was bag of nails. In the time i owned it the HG went and clutch so that was replaced. The cam sensor had to be replaced to!!!! Then it had major oil leak and the gearbox was shot and torsion beam. So i sold it through the auction and some poor old bugger bought it. All i can say french cars are not greatest and i will never purchase one again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
IMO French cars are the worst.

But Fords are a very close second, especially the Mondeo! They have better (easier to work on not actually better) suspension/brakes etc etc but the engine is just a nightmare.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
what about an e36?
Ha.....! :frown

I have news of sacrilege, bimmerbros. She SPECIFICALLY doesn't want RWD. :embarrassed

Admittedly, that is probably my fault; I put crap tyres on mine, which, when wet, leads to an already tail-happy car being basically unmanageable.

That coupled with the fact that she works in a place which is at a pretty high altitude and is the first place near Glasgow to get snow and saw my car not move for a month last winter means she will not hear of a RWD car.

Wee boot.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
my missus has a renault scenic 1.4 and its been a nightmare for the last 5 years with failed coil packs,central locking,struts,electrical problems and anything that seems to go wrong cost 100 quid everytime and its on a 52 plate with only 72 ooo miles on it with full history.wont be chopping it in when we change it as the missus says we are gonna burn it in a field one day with a glass of wine to celebrate as quite frankly the worst car we have both ever owned and going for a fiesta for her next or bmw compact

·
Platinum BFuk Member
530 Posts
I've owned 2 lagunas,

a 2000 1.6 sport - never had a problem till the cambelt went at 60mph and bent 14 of the 16 valves:jaw-dropping ( my own fault, it was 10k over the cambelt change)

a 51 plate 1.9 DCi estate, top spec, never let me down, was a cracking car till some 17yo muppet who'd passed his test 3 weeks before decided that his step dads van would look better planted in te side of a laguna:frown

Both cars were bought from garages, we spent a while looking for each one, just make sure you get one with decent history and keep to the service intervals!!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've owned 2 lagunas,

a 2000 1.6 sport - never had a problem till the cambelt went at 60mph and bent 14 of the 16 valves:jaw-dropping ( my own fault, it was 10k over the cambelt change)

a 51 plate 1.9 DCi estate, top spec, never let me down, was a cracking car till some 17yo muppet who'd passed his test 3 weeks before decided that his step dads van would look better planted in te side of a laguna:frown

Both cars were bought from garages, we spent a while looking for each one, just make sure you get one with decent history and keep to the service intervals!!
Yeah, this one has only had 1 owner and I think FSH, so for £1250, it doesn't seem that you can expect much more for the money. Apparently it's also top spec. :thumbsup

We'll be going to see it tonight or tomorrow. Time will tell.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have owned renaults for 10 years now, like said older renaults with wiring is a nightmare, but thats also down to a lot of people bodging items and doing their own wiring, including million of scotchloks =( not fun trying to sort out that mess. They are easy to work and nothing is over really overcomplicated. As not sure what model you are going for as I believe its around that year when its changed you just need to be careful if its the keyless version as the cards do break after a while. If its the diesel version have heard quite a few stories where the engine destroys itself but thats on the newer model.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
I reckon it's down to price. If the Laguna is areally a minter and been properly maintained AND is (say) £500 less than an equivalent (say) Mondeo, the it's worth a punt, the gamble being whether/how quickly the £500 gets soaked up. As others have said, French cars are generally less reliable, but it may be 1/10 Mondeos are badly built and 2/10 Renaults (100% more!), yet 80% are fine.

Price decides it in my view!! Also, at c£1500 no-one should expect too much!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts