BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alirighty just after a bit of help with removing a few items

firstly the steering wheel. i have the airbag unit off. is there any special technique for getting this off or just brute force? i don't want to round the nut off.

second, the rear seat backs. i've taken off all the locaters i can find from in the boot (2). Are there anymore?

third, the side wings. also is there any technique for these or brute force again. i just seem to be rounding off the bolts.

finally, for the moment, the door cards. all the pins around it have been popped of but it still seems to be stuck near the middle.

any help would be great.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Door cards, You need to slide the door handle surround off to one side (towards front of car IIRC-I can check this for you if you remind me tomorrow afternoon) Also there are two covering bungs in the part you use to pull the door shut. Remove these to reveal two torx screws:thumbsup

Steering wheel link http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tec...ring-Wheel/101-Projects-65-Steering-Wheel.htm

I'm afraid I don't know about the seats but stop if the bolt heads are rounding or you may have to resort to grinding the bolt heads off:frown, if it's even possible to get to them:confused

·
Platinum BFuk Member
153 Posts
Are the seats non folding? if so i'm sure the backs are just held on by two small black plastic nuts at the bottom, with those off its just a case of sliding the back rest upwards out of its location slots this may take a fair bit of effort though!
If the seats do fold them i'm afraid i don't know all the ones i've stripped had non folding seats and the coupes i stripped i left the rear seats in as they were no good!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the seats non folding? if so i'm sure the backs are just held on by two small black plastic nuts at the bottom, with those off its just a case of sliding the back rest upwards out of its location slots this may take a fair bit of effort though!
If the seats do fold them i'm afraid i don't know all the ones i've stripped had non folding seats and the coupes i stripped i left the rear seats in as they were no good!
yea they are the non-folding type but i did not see any at the bottom. i'll have another look.

cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Door cards, You need to slide the door handle surround off to one side (towards front of car IIRC-I can check this for you if you remind me tomorrow afternoon) Also there are two covering bungs in the part you use to pull the door shut. Remove these to reveal two torx screws:thumbsup

Steering wheel link http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tec...ring-Wheel/101-Projects-65-Steering-Wheel.htm

I'm afraid I don't know about the seats but stop if the bolt heads are rounding or you may have to resort to grinding the bolt heads off:frown, if it's even possible to get to them:confused
i'll ask you again next week in that case because i'll have a weekend off it i think. one of the screws/bolts on the wing is close to rounded off so i'll have to seek help on those ones i think.:mad

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aye it looks like i just need a longer ratchet handle for the steering wheel.

and patience.

something i lack

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
i'll ask you again next week in that case because i'll have a weekend off it i think. one of the screws/bolts on the wing is close to rounded off so i'll have to seek help on those ones i think.:mad

Is it the torx type one closest to the front by any chance, I had the same on my touring if so.

Remove the indicator and spray the bottom of the thread up and leave. Give the top a couple of short sharp taps with a hammer and it should release eventually:thumbsup

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep thats the little bugger. luckily the neighbours kids were in school so they didnt here me shouting.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
yep thats the little bugger. luckily the neighbours kids were in school so they didnt here me shouting.
I beat the f**k out of mine. It too had started to round off and I was seriously starting to get annoyed as I don't have a grinder to grind the bugger off.

Would you believe I eventually loosened it with just my finger tips:jaw-dropping

You'll encounter many of these situations when breaking your car:hihi

I have a stubborn gearbox bolt that has had the better of me so far.... BUT I WILL SUCCEED!!!:lol:lol:lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did you manage to do that from underneath or something? they're bloody soft too. like aluminium aren't they. i won't be beaten by a screw and i'll be shouting that too!

god i'm looking forward to the underside. not really. i need to make sure it is totally secure on the stands before i get under there. the front is resting on the strengthening beam just behind the front wheels and the back are on the wishbones. not the places i would have wanted to put them but it was the only place i could find where they would sit fully on the stand mounts.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
153 Posts
You could always try grinding a slot in the top of the bolt wide enough to take the largest flat blade screw driver you have, alot that i've dismantled i've seen this done on and even the car i've currently got on the road!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could always try grinding a slot in the top of the bolt wide enough to take the largest flat blade screw driver you have, alot that i've dismantled i've seen this done on and even the car i've currently got on the road!!
that could well be the next step.

my good old phillips always does the trick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts