BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

E39 523i saloon drift car

Is the steel wall behind the rear seats structural? What kind of support do I need to replace it with if it is? Can I use a hollow (not X type) roll cage so I can still hurl the dog in the back (not while drifting obviously... lol)?

How does it come out? Will I need an angle grinder, or is it bolted in?

I am aware that the fuel tank is below the rear seats and will need proper bracing. The electrical cables look easily rerouted.

Cheers

:D :thumbsup :D

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
E39 sedan was also available with folding seats. That section of the body is different with folding seats and seats have a structural backing in themselves. You need to cut thru the separating wall.

But is it not possible to keep the dog on rear seat with some seat cover and harness for the dog? What size/breed dog are we talking about?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha ha I live on a boat and need to carry timber. Also dog is a pain in the bum and screeches down my ear when driving, from the back seat. I was thinking of roll caging Bernie Bear the Bent Metal W**nker at some point. Also, he's going to become a bear. He's getting plastidip, a tail, furry ears and bear decals. He's the world's only drifting bear!

I just want the back of the car to be hollow to carry loads of crap.

So you are sure it's not structural, I can just cut it out with a grinder?

Hope this works - this is River the flat coated retriever. He's a big boy.

River by the River.jpg

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
I've had no problem transporting our labrador on E39 back seat. With proper harness connected to seat belt lock it's much safer and more comfortable than keeping her in the trunk even with the rear seats folded.

I just asked and she agreed. :)

Eppu_winter.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had no problem transporting our labrador on E39 back seat. With proper harness connected to seat belt lock it's much safer and more comfortable than keeping her in the trunk even with the rear seats folded.

I just asked and she agreed. :)

View attachment 251147
Your dog is gorgeous.

Unfortunately, River cannot be connected to the seat belt on the back seat because he screams at the top of his lungs the whole time because the seat belt gets caught round his legs not matter what I do, how long or short I make it. He screams anyway, just not as much. He is much happier lying down on in the back of a van, so much quieter with all the space so I want to make the back of the car a large hard floor for him.

Note that River has been on the back seat of saloon type cars for the last 3 years and has driven me to within an inch of my sanity. I don't want a 3rd car, I just want to adapt this one. Or remove his vocal chords.

I still need to transport other stuff which is a major factor, need to dump weight, put a roll cage in at some point, so I still need to know if the steel behind the back seats is structural or is removable for sure.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Of course the wall behind seats makes the body a bit stiffer. But if you just cut it open it won't differ that much of the original version with folding seats.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the UK you must restrain your pets while they are in the car this can be with a seat belt or in a crate or a dog guard between you and the pet frailer to do so leaves you open to a £5000 fine

View attachment 251155
Chum the scruff :hihi

i will find something to anchor him to. There has to be a way to stop the little pooh bag from screaming. Are there any countries that allow vocal chord removal? Honestly though, he's the most vocal dog I've ever come across. The trainers all said it's just who he is, and of course he will scream like a banshee if he gets a leg wrapped around a restraint.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts