BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gentlemen.

I have noticed recently that my red oil light has been flickering at idle. As I have posted before, I'm having a rough rpm problem. With the MAF unplugged, it idles at about 600-650 rpm, which is a bit too low (I think its supposed to be at like 750). It only comes on when the car is warmed up. As soon as the rpms go up past 700, the red oil light goes away completely. as soon as the idle drops back down again, the light flickers rapidly again. I'm not too sure if I should be concerned. I did recently do an oil change myself, with an OEM filter. Either way, I have ordered a Foxwell scanner and I will read the MAF live data and see if thats the cause of the low idle.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Yes you should concern this issue. It may something littl es that cause engine to wear very quick.... Just be safe and start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
When i had this problem it turned out to be the oil pressure sensor.
Make sure you have enough oil in the engine.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Well even then when enough oil in engine, you are not really safe e.g. if pump fail or oil stuck somewhere etc...

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Mine used to come on after i left the motorway and pull up at the lights but if i put it in neutral the flicker would go away.
Changed oil/filter put 5w40 in as it's got 167k on it but still the same so changed the sensor no more flickering oil light.
That was 2 years ago now but engine still smooth as silk.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sorry, but a red oil light is pretty “bang to rights” it needs to be addressed!
Driving it with the thought that it is a sensor prob, is risky! You need to get your oil pump delivery Px checked, ideally.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
As above you need to get it checked.
The pressure sensor is easy to change and the cost is not a lot.
But you saying over 700rpm sounds exactly like mine and only when hot and the oil is thin.
You need to get it sorted asap though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts