BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps

This morning, I pulled off my drive as normal and noticed that the handbrake light was still on. I figured I just hadn't dropped the brake leaver to the very bottom. Reached down, squeezed the button and discovered it was already as far down as it'll go. Once realising this, the DSC light came on with a single "beep", the one bang in the centre of the instrument cluster.

10 miles to work, everything (ignoring the lights) seemed normal. Brakes work fine, the DSC works fine (just so happens to be raining so forcing the back end out is easy) and ABS works fine. On the face of it anyway.

Hand brake works fine, although for the last few weeks I've had to pull the lever way up to about 5 or 6 clicks before the wheels are locked. I've been meaning to adjust/take in the slack but I've been right in the middle of moving house and have been extremely busy. It still has to go up 5 or 6 clicks but still seems to work ok.

I've done some quick googling, it seems a DSC light & orange handbrake light is common and suggests things like low fluid level, brake servo faults and brake cylinder faults. However, my handbrake light is red, it suggests to me that there's a faulty sensor. However, I tried driving along slowly and pulling the brake leaver up (this was to test the handbrake, to see if it was still working) and I got the repeating beeps like I normally would so the sensor is still working.

Any ideas?
Cheers

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hope the new house has a nice big garage :D
No but a nice big driveway =)

Can't wait to go home and read the codes, I'm really intrigued.

Come the mention the drive, It's a gravel driveway and perhaps a particle of stone has kicked up into a brake calliper or wheel hub up causing issues with an ABS sensor.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It sounds like a wheel speed sensor, but who knows.

A couple of times working on the brakes I've wire brushed the whole lot and the crud has blocked the sensors until after the first journey, but I think that was the more common amber DSC + handbrake lights.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...but I think that was the more common amber DSC + handbrake lights.
Indeed.

So, after a longer google session, it seems that there are threads on various different forums relating to a red handbrake light and DSC light. The advice that seems to come up is the following from the owners manual:

Brake warning lamp

If the lamp comes on when the
parking brake is not engaged:
check the brake fluid level.

Every time, the OP comes back to report that the fluid level was low, they topped it up and lights went out. I'm off to the car park to check fluid level...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ovington, a little town not for from Hexham.

Well, just been out to lift the bonnet and I can confirm that fluid levels are most certainly low. Worryingly low in fact.

I'll buy some fluid on my lunch break and top-up. Thing is, this just raises more questions. Chief of which being where's all the fluid gone?!

Suppose I'll get it on a ramp and take a look at the pipes & hoses.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've only ever been through Hexham.

That's a pretty bad sign, once you get it back give the brake pedal a good hard press and the leak should present itself, all over your nice new driveway!

Is it low enough that it might have drawn air into the ABS system?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I work in Hexham, it's a nice place. Shame about all the bloody tourists :hihi

Not sure what the craic is with the DSC light. Maybe the computer is deciding that since fluid levels are low, it's best to deactivate the DSC as it uses the brake servo and if the system is leaking fluid then the DSC kicking in could shorten the time to dangerous failure. However, I intentionally tried to get the back end out on the way to work and the DSC kicked in.

Strange.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Problems problems...

Well, got some brake fluid, filled it up (didn't take that much actually), started engine and none of the lights came on. Sweet!

...until I pressed the brake pedal. I gave it a good squeeze, thinking that if it's leaking from anywhere I'd get to see where. So with the intention just to press the pedal nice and firmly, the pedal just kept going back until it was pushed against the limit and it was buried deep in the foot well. Not good, especially because my plan worked. There's now a puddle of fluid on the ground, bang in the middle of the car. It's obviously peeing out of a pipe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi lads, ive only had the car a week and my DSC light and handbrake light (amber) are illuminated, this happened on the A69 (corbridge roundabout) im waiting for a diag lead off eBay so will do checks later, but doing a bit googling it could be one of 2 sensors on the brake servo?? BTW brake fluid is fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi, not sure if i am doing this right, thing is i have the same problem, red sometime orange handbrake light and orange dsc. comes on after a few miles, brakes work fine , fluid levels also fine, i have done all the things you have, i have a feeling it is an electrical blip, a few other issues have come to light, passenger mirror works off and on, central locking will not work remotely from key.strange thing is, all this happened after a recall, passenger air bag. i have fitted a new battery, but that made no change.thinks i will get it checked out when i get chance.

·
Registered
2017 BMW 320d
356 Posts
If you go the way of the sensors on the brake servo just get one. they are identical so if you change one of them save the old one until you've seen the fault is cleared, then if that doesn't solve the problem put the 'old' one in the second position as it's probably OK, seeing as the fault was not cured by changing it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever get this fixed?

hi, not sure if i am doing this right, thing is i have the same problem, red sometime orange handbrake light and orange dsc. comes on after a few miles, brakes work fine , fluid levels also fine, i have done all the things you have, i have a feeling it is an electrical blip, a few other issues have come to light, passenger mirror works off and on, central locking will not work remotely from key.strange thing is, all this happened after a recall, passenger air bag. i have fitted a new battery, but that made no change.thinks i will get it checked out when i get chance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts