BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive had poor reception since I had the car.
The original head unit wasnt connected when I removed and there is nno normal bmw connection just a long cable attached to part of the unit.
I connected it to my aftermarket and I got some but not great reception

Ive tried replacing the diversity unit, and contact cleaning all aerial points on the back window.

so having read another thread, I purchased an amplified anteanna adapater

and another iso adaptor to allow that to connect up fully

I decided to try fitting a powered aerial adapter as my reception isnt great on the current after market and have been a little amazed to find the reception actually seems worse with it connected ?!

There was a hash of wiring by the previous owner and no sign of a simple bmw converter.
This is what ive got coming from the main car unit

Ive removed this dodgy looking wire, which was connected to the car aerial cable and into the headunit

and fitted
the amplified connected

any suggestions what I can do on that front to improve things ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are you sure the amplifier has power. Only ask because I had a similar issue in my Audi A2, crap reception with another HU (The standard HU has the amplification built in hence why needed for an aftermarket HU)

Made it worse at first but I'd wired it wrong and it wasn't getting power. I used the amp remote wire on the HU as this only gets power when the unit is on.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ive connected it to the blue powered antenna cable on the original harness as shown on the first pic, im assuming that the right one, I cant see where that would have gone on the original headunit though

Ive not got anything to connect it to on the aftermarket head unit either that i can see what should i be looking for ?

ive got an enco (dynavin clone) system on the way and wanted to get it all sorted before that comes so I dont have similar issues with that

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will try that tomorrow

not sure what I can do about the original aerial cable though ;(

·
Registered
75 Posts
You're right of course, wasn't quite sure what the adapter did but that also goes for the A2 I used one on apparently (that has an amplified aerial on the window glass as well). The point about it not getting power possibly being the cause still stands though.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Do you own a multi meter? If not they are only about a fiver. You can use it to find out if you are getting. 12V on that line.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yup I have one

sorry not updated, been dealing with alloys and callipers today.

Yes i put the multimeter on and there was no voltage at all on that.

I checked out the harness again in more detail and followed the wiring on the back of the head unit for a power amp and it seems the harness cable had been cut back right in to the socket. i checked that and was able to get 12v out of that, hooking up a mini test connection, nothing really improved much with that either.
Im not sure what would have been on it for the bmw power amp cable to connect to it, but Ive made up a connection now and will test out and may take a trip to a local audio place tomorrow to see what they think.
and failing

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Do you have the old he or new Gen FM amp? The old Gen needs the 12V DC on the diversity coax. Best the upgrade to the new Gen off eBay.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you have the old he or new Gen FM amp? The old Gen needs the 12V DC on the diversity coax. Best the upgrade to the new Gen off eBay.
I'm not sure. It's part 65206912818 on my phone at the moment so cant look it up

1 - 12 of 12 Posts