BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to this forum and new to BMWs.

I'm looking at buying a used 320d touring, possibly 2008/2009/2010 reg in the next 6 months or so. I want a reliable car as I would be driving it to Europe and back.

I've noticed that there seem to be a lot of them on Autotrader, for example, that have outstanding recalls on them (private sellers and dealers alike). I have also read that it is illegal for dealers to sell cars without having any outstanding recalls fixed before selling. On a few forums, people are saying that they are having to wait weeks, if not months, to have these recall issues fixed by BMW dealerships.

My questions are, should I stay clear of any that have outstanding recalls on them, or use that as a bargaining tool? If I go to a dealer and haggle some money off on the account of it having a recall, am I complicit in them breaking the law? If I asked them to sort it before I purchase, is this very likely to happen or would they just sell to someone else who wasn't aware of the recall? How much could I ask off the price to a private seller to get the issue sorted myself? Is this likely to highlight other issues when taken to the dealership?

I am worried that people not having these issues looked at could mean that there may be other issues they are hiding from.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unsure what specific recalls you are talking about and legal issues but can give you some 320d pointers if you are unfamiliar.

Main issue/recall to watch out for the timing chain issues pre 2009.
my understanding is the crank end sprockets were the root cause of the issues which were mainly fixed in 2009 with a revised sprocket tooth profile and BMW's standard service procedure was to replace cranks with 2009+ ones.

I'd also go with whatever had the best service book, my 07' 320d got picked up at 213k km and made it that far before needing any timing chain work with noted 10k km intervals. Ironically the problem ended up being a broken chain guide.
Oil change intervals would also affect the turbo life significantly and the oil feed line can get blocked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts