BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. i searched on internet and i couldn't find a solution to my problem. i have a f10 2010 2.0,i replaced the rear disks and brake pads and i did more than 2000 miles with the car. at first, the parking brake was getting stuck when the car was parked over night. it was happening like, after you wash the car and put the parking brake on. first time when happened, i was waiting on a red light and when i started to move, i felt like something is holding the car. i was pressing hard the acceleration and the car was barely moving. after this i replaced the braking pads,but the problem didn't go away. it happens to me daily. one times i was driving on the motorway, i had 80 miles an hour and suddenly i was losing power (i didn't even used the brakes). i stopped on the emergency line and i checked the rear wheels and the disks were red, and they were burning. does anyone have any idea what is going on?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i forgot to say that i replaced the calipers to, after the motorway incident. and the problem didn't go away. thanks

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
When new pads went in, was the pressure on the brake fluid able to reduce?

As in, ages ago did similar, changed pads - when you think about it the new pad materiel needs not to that have that amount of space/volume in the brake fluid, if you just levered the pads back and squeezed them in you're at day one with the new pads are as if they were applied all the time, that's why the discs would get red.

So change of brake fluid would effectively make the pressure right, the lot that was in when cooked is shot anyway.

Though you say you replaced the calipers, surely you saw a bit of fluid pass though then?
You did take the reservoir lid off when working on the system?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanatoid, maybe you're right. my mechanic checked the brake fluid, and he said it's not that used. it's orange, between green and red. after he changed the calipers he filled with brake fluid. if i change all brake fluid is gonna make a difference?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it happened again today, and i need to press brake pedal a few times to release the wheels. it's probably the pressure from the brake system? it's very weird, i never seen something like this to happen with a car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another thing i forgot to mention, i checked on the idrive vehicle information and it's saying that i need to change the brake fluid in 1200 miles. this could be the reason for my problem?

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Well it might mean your brake fluid is getting a bit old, but after a high temp episode like your hot discs I'd have been tempted to flush through and make sure the brake fluid was of the right spec for your brakes, though if your mech has done that it should be pretty good.... or might mean was topped up with something to produce orange fluid :) One or t'other, but not a mix - unless identical spec, even then it's a cheap area to make sure you have the right stuff in there.

If you have a local BMW Independent I'd be tempted to take along to them, generally better at diagnostics, and your mech hasn't sorted it yet, and it's BRAKES!

So kinda important......

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the help thanatoid, I'm getting sick and tired of this problem i'l see what i can do, maybe i will sort this out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts