BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, so recently I have noticed an annoying rattle from the passenger side rear of my car, initially I thought it was a loose trim of some sort however during the recent spell of hot weather I was driving with the windows down and whenever I hit a bump the rattle would sound inside vehicle but I could also hear a metal clanking noise from the outside rear passenger wheel area almost as if something was loose and moving freely is a housing of some sort. As is common the mechanic had a look and found no issue but I really want to get this sorted as it's doing my head in. Has anyone experienced anything similar or can assist in identifying what the issue may be? Mechanic said the springs and mounts look fine so I'm a bit baffled as to what is going on, I have also cleaned the car today and there is no loose trim in the rear so it definitely seems linked to the noise on the outside.

Thanks for reading...

·
Registered
146 Posts
It can be a loose handbrake adjusting mechanism or a rear anti roll bar drop link or a brake dust shield or the pads rattling in the callipers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An update, I have inspected the top on the shock and can see a bit which looks like a washer and appears to have come away from the mount.
When I push down on the suspension it touches the top and makes a metallic knock so I am guessing this is the issue. The drivers side is fine and doesn't appear to have this loose piece. Is this a part of the shock or the mount? Don't want to replace parts unnecessarily.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts