BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a bit of talk on this recently and after removing my badge this morning, I thought it made sense to make a How-To. If anyone has any other methods feel free to post here, and if mods think this isn't worth a topic then feel free to remove :thumbsup

I think all BMW's except for the 'M' models look better without a badge such as '318' , '320d' etc (in my case '318 is'). I removed the badge on my old E36 and I've also removed badges on other cars such as my old Fiesta.
The method below is just a method I've used with good results and no marks leftover, but others may post their methods ;)

Rear model badge removal

1) Get a hairdryer and blow on hottest setting over badge thoroughly for about 5 minutes, ensuring its 'ouch' hot when you touch it.

2) Get some dental floss and pull it down behind the badge to loosen it

3) Get an old credit card and slide it down the back of the badge and ease it off, it will need a little pressure. If its too difficult without force at this stage, heat it up further with the hairdryer.

4) Once the metal part of the badge is off, there might be some adhesive still on the car. Don't worry at this point.

5) Wash with warm water over the area where the badge was and then heat it with the hairdryer again.

6) The adhesive should now peel off easily, again if it doesn't apply more hot air.

7) Once the adhesive is off, clean the area again with warm water.

8) Apply AutoGlym's "Intensive Tar Remover" or equivalent generously to the area and leave to dry for a couple of minutes.

9) Wash area with water again and leave to dry and the rear of your car should be clear of badge, adhesive and scratches :)

10) Wash rest of the car, at least the rear of the car so there's not just a certain clean area on the rear of the car. Just what I noticed as the rest of the back of my car was filthy ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Badge Removed

Cheers Joe9087, good write up. I've been waiting for someone to do this so that i can try it. Going to have a go next weekend, fingers crossed!
Thought I'd give a quick update on the badge removal as i removed them today on my 2005 E46 320CD SPORT using Joe9087 instructions.

Good instructions but i would stress that some real elbow grease is needed in order to remove all the sticky glue bits that are left behind. I thought it would be easier but it might just have been my car :mad

Anyway for those wanting to see the finished result check out the before and after pictures below.

Don’t want to start the whole debate regarding removal of badges on the basis of tricking other drivers the car is more powerful etc etc i did it for cosmetic purposes only. I just hope people find it useful to see the end result before they contemplate whether or not to remove their own badges :thumbsup

·
Registered
249 Posts
I did this on my e46 318 last week. Car is parked in the street and it was a warm day. Cotton thread to cut through the residue of each emblem by getting behind the badges. Picked the residue with my fingers to remove. Some, just a little, t-cut scratch remover, the mild stuff not the real t-cut, to remove the last of the residue. Must say, it took me a whole 10 minutes with excellent results.

·
Registered
216 Posts
im guessing that badge removal is the smae with the rear beadge aswell?

Ive got a black 316 and was looking at those carbon fibre ones on ebay, or would it best to go with the original one as both or mine are discoloured.?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.