BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a re-map or a chip on a e46 compact ti se auto, 2 Litre petrol engine if so can you tell me how this has made a difference to your car. I am asking because i am considering doing this to improve my mpg and my performance but do they both work as performance means more fuel surely. Pse advise me which way to go. Thanks.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Has anyone had a re-map or a chip on a e46 compact ti se auto, 2 Litre petrol engine if so can you tell me how this has made a difference to your car. I am asking because i am considering doing this to improve my mpg and my performance but do they both work as performance means more fuel surely. Pse advise me which way to go. Thanks.
It will increase both somewhat.
Basically, when cars come from BMW they are 'mapped' to operate on fuel that could be from anywhere in the world (eg/ fuel in Africa is of far lesser quality than US or UK)

Remap tunes the conservative BMW maps and you get an increase in engine efficiency (mpg) and performance (bhp)

ON a 320i performance increase will not be stellar though.

hth

·
Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
1,227 Posts
It will increase both somewhat.
Basically, when cars come from BMW they are 'mapped' to operate on fuel that could be from anywhere in the world (eg/ fuel in Africa is of far lesser quality than US or UK)

Remap tunes the conservative BMW maps and you get an increase in engine efficiency (mpg) and performance (bhp)

ON a 320i performance increase will not be stellar though.

hth
As above gains are small on N/A car's

Most cars before 99 need re-chpping there the chip is changed on the ECU bored, re-mapping is were new info is flash through the service port.

Mike

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm still wondering whether to go for it lol don't wanna stress my car to the point of clutch/gearbox/turbo going cus they're simply too expensive to replace, i don't drive it like a moron i'm hitting 37-38mpg atm but im still a bit worried - the gains sound really good though.

Mike - What are the differences (roughly) on my car with a remap and an ecomap?

·
Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
1,227 Posts
I'm still wondering whether to go for it lol don't wanna stress my car to the point of clutch/gearbox/turbo going cus they're simply too expensive to replace, i don't drive it like a moron i'm hitting 37-38mpg atm but im still a bit worried - the gains sound really good though.

Mike - What are the differences (roughly) on my car with a remap and an ecomap?
The eco maps are about +20hp.. the gains are good its a mild tune.. Very nice a smooth.. The performance maps are a bit more full on.. :hihi..

But its all down to have you drive it.. our maps only come into play after 50%poer and 50% loud.. so its there when you need it. overtaking pulling away etc etc..

as for MPG should good up but its all down to u ..

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.