BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, have got a Rattling noise from gearbox area, when clutch pedel 1/2 depreesed. Drive still ok, no juddering, no noise, when driving. Only when engine ticking over at idle and depress the clutch pedel 1/2 way down noise is there, fully depress noise goes !! Have changed the gearbox oil today but no different..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds like it could be the clutch thrust bearing or possibly broken springs on the pressure plate - but if it is going to be replaced it would make sense to change the clutch friction plate and pressure plate also.

It's highly unlikely that the flywheel would need replacing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You have a broken dual-mass flywheel

Lets see who wins?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn't know it was a contest :)

Just trying to help - I would have thought that with a broken dual-mass flywheel then the takeup wouldn't be smooth but as the OP says there is no juddering !

But I have been known to be wrong but not often !

I have friends too who always start with the worst case scenario.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Done about 1'000 miles since I report the fault on here. The noise has not got any worse. Still drives like a dream. May be Gearbox chatter !!

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
If the noise isn't there with the pedal fully up and fully down but half way it sounds like you have two diesel engines then 90% it's your DMF. I don't think you said what your mileage is but they do have a lifespan. In any case, stripping the gearbox is such a big job on these cars that you are replacing the clutch and DMF regardless. Here it is on a 320d (same setup) on youtube...

BMW 320D `04 broken Dual Mass Flywheel DMF - YouTube

1 - 8 of 8 Posts