BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Ive just picked up a 520d f10 touring, very happy with the car and all is well and good, except, an annoying rattle sound that appears to be coming from the rear of the car. The sound is only apparent under certain conditions, when the engine is cold and when the car is stationary whilst being held on the brake, so when i'm manovering off my drive in the morning and in stop/start traffic on a hill i can hear it and its pretty intrusive.
As soon as i start rolling forward and then accelerating the noise vanishes, and when i've driven a mile or so it seems to no longer happen at all.
Just wondered if any of you have had a similar experience or know what it could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah okay ill look into that, thanks. Its not something that seems much to worry about, more of an annoyance than anything.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im hoping thats what is it, i looked under the car and there is some tie wrapping on the mount, so obviously someone has had problems with it in the past for one reason or another.
although the fact it disappears when i shift into N or R makes me think it could possibly be engine mount related, my reasoning being that if it was purely the exhaust mount then it would rattle no matter wether D or R is selected as the engine will still be vibrating at a similar frequency. I could be completely wrong though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Try wiggling the brake shields that sit behind the discs and see if there is any movement. They rust and come loose over time and it only needs one of the 3 or 4 mounting points to wear and give up a bit of slack, that then causes a rattle. The vibration of the car may be enough to make it rattle at standstill or low movement but other road noises mask it at higher speeds. Anyway if it isn't that at least its another thing ruled out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Im hoping thats what is it, i looked under the car and there is some tie wrapping on the mount, so obviously someone has had problems with it in the past for one reason or another.
although the fact it disappears when i shift into N or R makes me think it could possibly be engine mount related, my reasoning being that if it was purely the exhaust mount then it would rattle no matter wether D or R is selected as the engine will still be vibrating at a similar frequency. I could be completely wrong though.
When in drive engine moves slightly and it is putting a certain strain on exhaust mounts and exhaust which could lose the rattle.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi guys. Ive just picked up a 520d f10 touring, very happy with the car and all is well and good, except, an annoying rattle sound that appears to be coming from the rear of the car. The sound is only apparent under certain conditions, when the engine is cold and when the car is stationary whilst being held on the brake, so when i'm manovering off my drive in the morning and in stop/start traffic on a hill i can hear it and its pretty intrusive.
As soon as i start rolling forward and then accelerating the noise vanishes, and when i've driven a mile or so it seems to no longer happen at all.
Just wondered if any of you have had a similar experience or know what it could be? Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
one of your brake discs will be just slightly warped and it causes the thin metal plate near disc to catch, just pull all 4 away slightly and i think your prolem will be solved. johnibby.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts