BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went and put some petrol in the M3, 8 litres from £10!!!!!! Then went and got some oil 5/40 Fully Synthetic 1 litre and that cost me £11!!!!!!

The gauge on the BMW said it had only given me 30 miles from £10 of petrol!!!

Is this right?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mmmmm me thinks you overlooked something when buying your car.......

M3 = low MPG

Having said that you must have a heavy right foot, but who doesn't eh?

I get about 50 to a tenner from mine when being sensible.

Have you considered a LPG conversion?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah it was traffic driving, and it was mainly stop start, and cold driving, so i expect it to use it more, but when you only get 8 litres from £10 is scarey lol.

I would never let petrol get between me and my driving but lets just say, it wont be getting a full tank for a while.

It is due a service so that could be something to do with it, always seems to drink a little more when the service is close.

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
To be honest I try not to think about petrol costs. It may hurt at the pumps but if you look at it over the year it's only a couple hundred pounds.

We also do well by driving old cars in the old tax bands! What I try to remind myself is that the M3 is expensive to run but I like to think it's cheap for the performance.

Ian

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
<<< mine does about 80/90 to £10 = 40+mpg .... dirty diesel for the win! :)
You really don't want to start me off on diesels! Would rather run a big six on LPG than use that devil's fuel. My old 328 sport on LPG cost about the same to run. Added bonus (that is worth converting for alone) is that you are paying less tax on it.

Ian

·
Registered
68 Posts
avoid v-power and that kinda crap.
I actually find that it almost balances out if you go for premium fuel, you get better mpg due to the higher octane, plus you get the full performance from your motor, although I have to admit I'm dubious about the so called 'cleaning' properties of certain fuels.

Bottom line though... can you really complain about fuel economy if you drive a BMW??

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK I must admit, this £10 worth of fuel is lasting much better than the normal Super Unleaded we put in from Tesco!

It was called Supreme..... what ocatain is that then?

·
Registered
536 Posts
OK I must admit, this £10 worth of fuel is lasting much better than the normal Super Unleaded we put in from Tesco!

It was called Supreme..... what ocatain is that then?
Tesco's Super is 99 ron - its actually very, very similar to V-Power.

However I do not venture near supermarkets for Fuel espcially after my friends porche had to have a new fuel pump and lines after using pertol from the local supermarket as they have water in the fuel!!

And 8 liters at £10? Where the hell are you buying it? I would get about 10 litres for £10 but to be honest you bought a M3 and its not the kind of car you buy if you have an issue with fuel costs etc.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Angie, i normaly put tesco super unleaded in and its better than normal unleaded, but this supreme stuff seems to be better again, it feels that little bit more responsive and get more miles from it,

Normaly my miles left on the computer drops crazy but with this stuff it hardly moves, its just how it should be if you ask me. I cannot see that one go up through one gear can knock off 20 miles.

I have had the M3 for over 4 years now and back then, fuel seemed bloody cheap! And to be totally honest, you could put unleaded in and it was perfect, now it seems they have watered unleaded down so much that we have to spend silly money on the non watered down fuel. If it gets any worse I would sell up and ride a bike :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Have you ever tried V Power in the car? I actually find that Shell is cheaper than Tesco's so I stick with that. The stuff you are putting in is 99.2 ron I believe and Shell is 99.6 or there abouts, not much in it really.

But I know what you mean re the price of fuel. I ordered my Type R when it was about 75.9p and I had to wait so long for it that the day I picked it up petrol hit the £1 mark! But the car was only going to be a weekend toy so I thought it won't matter that much and whilst I had sold my Mini my Dad gave me his E46 M3 Cab which quite frankly did more mpg than I ever saw out my Type R, but then I was a bit more careful with the M

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.