BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey after reading the thread about the insurance renewel i feel inclined to voice my opinion on a rather important topic, hopefully to get people thinking about where us drivers are gonna soon end up. Now this is specifically aimed at insurance companies and governments' legislation that is being proposed or at least suggested.

Listening to radio 1 this week it was said on every news break about women drivers having to be forced to pay as much as males, reason? sex discrimination, equal ops...etc..so at first i thought ok, fair enough, womens rights and all that, then hold on a sec make womens insurance as much as mens??! Typically womens insurance is half of what mens' is so all of a sudden people are gonna be forced to put up more money because of so called equal rights! Then it got me thinking some more, if this is passed, can i claim age discrimination? I am 21, 3 years no claims, 318i SE e46 saloon, pass plus, private drive and all that, £890. Now if i was over 25, say my dads age it'd be morel ike £300 maybe? If this gets passed i'm gonna complain of age discrimination and that i should be charged the same as someone over 25.

So why wouldn't this work? Well insurance prices are all about crash statistics, all insurance is about likiness to make a claim, amount of cover X probability of claim = premium, some formula like that. Now as unfortunate as it is, men are more likely to crash in higher power cars or more common cars than women. Debatable? maybe another time. But thats how at a glance it is seen, so how can equal ops com into risk factor and dictate everything on such an unfair basis! Madness!

Now also mentioned on the radio you may have heard is that they want to bring in fines for uninsured cars on the road, meaning if you own a car you will recieve a letter to insure it or recieve a fine. Not sure how effective it may be but we'l see. Anyway, why is insurance generally so high? Short answer? Fraud and uninsured drivers, meaning we honest decent people have to make up the short fall for people who dont buy insurance and claim fraudently, ie. the camera you supposedly lost on holiday. Is that fair to the honest majority?

Now put everything together, consider that if they bring womens prices up they should bring mens down, say meet in the middle, why should insurance companies be allowed to start sucking more cash out the honest motorist. Note also if the government bring in the new rule bout insuring cars, i think its only fair that we should seea reduction in premiums as a result of more people paying it. This government just seem to find new ways of sucking money out of us, and charging us on nessecity seems to be easiest way, ie. driving. I work in a petrol garage and petrol diesel goes up a penny every day or 2, despite what may be said about the whole sale, don't let that cloud your judgement, its still nearly all tax! I would urge you not to flame me however tempting as it may be, this is only my opinion and i would love people to share theirs, i would assume almost everyone on here drives, so it's relevant to everyone.
If anyone has taken the time to read this rant i'm sure it must've held some interest. Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Insurance companies can charge whatever they like as can the government for fuel. Why? Because they know we will pay whatever the price is albeit with a little whinging. Whinging doesn't bother these people only action does. We (the British public) are incapable of taking action as we're too busy just trying to get on with our daily lives.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree with you fella, I am livid with everything this government is throwing at us and the fact like you say if womens policys are going up surely ours should be going down slightly?

I am also pi$$ed off about this stuff about people claiming whip lash and injures is making premiums rise, why are people being so dishonest? Well fact is now these people and us honest drivers are paying for their dishonesty!

Fact is if insurance, fuel and tax keeps rising people arent gonna be able to afford cars, let alone nice cars when they have houses and families etc!

Rant over ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Insurance companies can charge whatever they like as can the government for fuel. Why? Because they know we will pay whatever the price is albeit with a little whinging. Whinging doesn't bother these people only action does. We (the British public) are incapable of taking action as we're too busy just trying to get on with our daily lives.

I would be happy to do whatever actions required, but then I suppose I could organise it rather than sit on my arse waiting for someone else to arrange it, like you say though we are all to busy with our lifes all the time, we need to make a stand!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, I think its a case of pricing people out of driving, because you need to drive so will pay it, right or wrong, and to look as if they are activly trying to be 'green' by discouraging car use. I don't know why the british public take no action, i know its an extreme example but egypt didn't like they're government and the way it was run, they changed it, not so lucky for libya, but even the french dont tolerate such things, if only wee could follow an example haha, or maybe your right, maybe we're too busy, we're given to many stresses to think about thus taking our mind off these things, im still thinknig about paying my electrity bill and council tax as well as filling up my car, so ye it works!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would be happy to do whatever actions required, but then I suppose I could organise it rather than sit on my arse waiting for someone else to arrange it, like you say though we are all to busy with our lifes all the time, we need to make a stand!
There's much more wrong with this country than high fuel prices and ripoff insurance but the trouble is with us British is we whinge and don't seem to do much else. Whinging doesn't solve things and no one has the time or passion to make a stand (unless you're greenpeace or a treehugger).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I totally agree, i for one would love to see people, everyday people, start asking these questions and putting pressure on the government. Increased VAT, increased fuel £, emmisions/road tax! Revolt!

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's much more wrong with this country than high fuel prices and ripoff insurance but the trouble is with us British is we whinge and don't seem to do much else. Whinging doesn't solve things and no one has the time or passion to make a stand (unless you're greenpeace or a treehugger).
Oh yeh this country is one big mess, The only reason prices are rising are due to the government recovering the money they lost in the banking crisis. The changes they make dont affect the idiots that caused it, once again only us hardworking normal people! Petrol will never drop down again, and they seem to be wanting the make smoking impossible, so the tax they will possibly lose on that will be placed on other things such as anything driving related!

I am glad I am back at my parents atm and enjoying the easy life as I was struggling last year in my own place so this year I would have been royally screwed!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your absoloutly right in that i cant see people taking a day off work or even they're weekend to protest on such issues, even though we should! The students had it right protesting those few months back, even if it did go a bit skew whiff at times, at least they did something, and your right theres so much more wrong this country than just the driving side, but this being a car forum, it seemed the most relevant.:) Theres a list as long as my car wrong with this country, where to start? :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeh this country is one big mess, The only reason prices are rising are due to the government recovering the money they lost in the banking crisis. QUOTE]

I'm not banker, why can't the bankers pay for there mess, 13m in bonuses!! and still 230m in debt, what the hell!! RBS a banking corportion bailed out with tax payers money and as such majority owned by joe public, so why cant we make the rules?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Oh yeh this country is one big mess, The only reason prices are rising are due to the government recovering the money they lost in the banking crisis. QUOTE]

I'm not banker, why can't the bankers pay for there mess, 13m in bonuses!! and still 230m in debt, what the hell!! RBS a banking corportion bailed out with tax payers money and as such majority owned by joe public, so why cant we make the rules?

I know its a joke! I dont get a bonus for working my arse off, let alone messing a countries economy!! Could you imagine the people having the power, non of those bankers would be getting a bonus ever again!!! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish people had the power, mr clegg i thikn it was wanted to introduce schemes to give people power to sack MPs' and politicians, can we just sack cameron? No more cuts, no more tax rise, i'l run for prime minister :D least im actually from a less advantaged background and understand the needs of working class people haha, not these public school boys! Free petrol for all! Well only if its a BMW!

·
Registered
74 Posts
if its unfair that women get cheaper insurance and people over 25 get cheaper insurance, also people who live in a so called dodgy area should not be penalised because of where their house is?

a bmw e46 m3 for me to insure in birmingham with admiral is £4251.35

now to insure the same car but with me living in Truro is £1842.73

thats about £2500 difference just on when i live nothing to do with how i drive.

everything to do with motoring is a rip off with this country and government.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'd like to see all the uninsured drivers fines and the money from their crushed cars going into some sort of pool that would go towards helping the genuine law abiding ( speeding does'nt count ) citizens keep their insurance prices down !

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd like to see all the uninsured drivers fines and the money from their crushed cars going into some sort of pool that would go towards helping the genuine law abiding ( speeding does'nt count ) citizens keep their insurance prices down !
i definetly think there should be some scheme like that, i think road tax should go on fixing roads, you pay council tax for local services and bin collection, road tax to drive on decent roads, the roads are terrible in my area ( south east) as cratered and pitted as a teenagers face! my poor alloys!

I never considered discrimination on where you live, thats a fair point too, £2500!, you pay council tax? that pays for public services? i'd start asking what the police in your area are doing with your cash. Take aways anyone?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Interesting points, but does anyone actually understand the situation OUR economy is in ? This doesn't make the headlines, because the truth rearely does.

We have the biggest deficit since WW2. Yep, we came out of WW2 in only a marginally worse position. A SMALL proportion of which was caused by the banks, which in turn was because they lent money to us the public who actually couldn't pay it back.

Bankers bonus ? Have a look at all multinational businesses, the management get their bonuses to keep them employed. Pay no bonuses and the bankers, just like the rest of us, would go searching for jobs elsewhere and leave the banks in meltdown. Bearing in mind that something like 70% of the economy depends on banking you can see where that would leave us, probably with nio pensions. Why? Pension companies typically invest our money in banking and oil for our future retirement, bleed both of them dry and say hello to working in your 70's.

Protest? Like the French? Say hello to an economy just ahead of that of a third world. Works well?

We have had the good times, huge welfare state, free hospitals, free schooling and free houses if you have 5 kids at 19. We have all enjoyed cheap credit, accesible mortgages, it had to come to an end.

So that leaves us all in a position where we have to start paying back to clear the debt, and that can only come from taxation. Don't blame the government, they are trying to get us back on track, whichever party was in power would have to do it.

Blame everybody else? We should all look in the mirror as we have all had a hand in it.

Harsh? It's reality guys, this country is up the creek and we don't have a very big paddle.

So it comes down to us all to have a hand in putting it back on track for our own sakes and our kids, and that means taxing for the future.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
moan moan feckin moan if ya don't like insurance costs or petrol costs or the price of tyres sell ya car and get a feckin pushbike!

either that or don't buy that iphone ya can't afford or that 30 quid bottle of aftershave or 80 quid pair of trainers..

the only reason ya pay sky high insurance is cos of similar aged morons like this..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-12737062

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10332838

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/suffolk/hi/people_and_places/newsid_9200000/9200979.stm

lifestyle choices and actually surviving are 2 different things, cant afford ya lifestyle cos nobody will give ya credit card? that you prolly wont pay or ask for a bankruptcy order or an IVF after yav run it up to the max!!

buy a pushbike, cloth yaself in Matalan and use a phonebox if stuffs too expensive for ya...

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Why do people keep banging on about 'Government'? The Insurance equalisation between sexes was the Euopean Courts (independent of Government) and current petrol price changes are (for a change) in response to market forces (getting nervy about events in the M.E.).

Neither has anything to do with Government.............

Ill-directed protests actually draw the Government into interfering -this is waht the last Govt did so readily and we ended up with a controlled Nanny State. Please don't invite the Govt into our lives any more.............

1 - 20 of 31 Posts