BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have an E39 2001 with the MID bUSINESS radio head unit and tape deck. The pixels on the display are faulty, so I want to install a replacement second hand radio unit.

The MID unit seems to be hard to find and I dont really need the MID anyway. So can I just install any of the standard head units supplied in these cars e.g the philips, business etc as they are all the same size or are the plugs on the back different?

Regards
Niall

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hiya I have a tape deck unit from my e39 5 series (2003). I have a sports so it's in the silver trim - if you want it let me know we can sort out a sensible price as probably will need to post it. Otherwise in regards to your other questions you will need a facia adapter (as I now have a after market unit in my car). Probability of plug adapaters is likely unless you go for the same manufacturer that BMW use for their radio's which I think it Alpine - not 100% though. Anyway hope thats of help

·
Registered
916 Posts
I had a load of trouble finding a genuine radio for my 39 when the FM packed up.
The plug on the back is probably a later flat pin type. I eventually got one from Germany as I did not want to lose the steering wheel controls and my CD in the boot.
Have you had it out to veiw the plug?, If you can also get the part No off it is a big help finding replacements.
I was suprised how easy they come out by a 1/4 turn of the screw behind the vol knob assuming yours is similar.
While I was looking I found companys who fix pixels also.
You will be very lucky to get anything for less than £100 for a genuine unit mine cost 235 euros, before Gordon wrecked the £ about £170 at the time.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Oh I forgot this bit, The front piece with the display probably comes off from the radio and tape player using ribbon connectors and a few screws this means if you can find a good display with a knackered radio which is a common fault as they are unrepairable by the manufactures agents due to a deal with the Stealers, you can mix and match the good bits. I have kept my old radio as the pixels are A1, but its not a MID sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.