BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been doing some research on this been on the directgov website and searched many forums for info.

My friend had his car seized the other week for changing the engine and not declaring because he was waiting for his v5. They declared his vehicle as radically altered

Since then ive been scared to drive my car due to mods, as i dont how far can you go before its classed as radically altered.

On my insurance ive got

coilovers
exhaust system changes
upholstery changes
alloy wheels
rear spoiler/aerofoil

Is this a radically altered vehicle that needs a special registration?

earlier i was looking at my car and thought m3 mirrors... not declared altho they where there when i bought the car and i could not of been aware they had been changed... Is this grounds to void insurance and slam me with 6 points and have my car seized??

others carbon fibre badges void it?
m3 diffuser void it?

How about the sticker in the back window from the used car dealership???

How far does this go???? :D

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
it goes as far as ppl making a mockery of the insurance system and your proposal form where it clearly states is your car modified from standard in anyway, and telling huge porkies not declaring them and not giving the insurance company the oppertunity in the first place to say wether in fact any of the mods will affect your insurance..

role the dice and take ya chances don't whinge and blub afterwards about it..

the new MOT proposals will give plenty owners summat to sh+t themselves about shortly..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
of course it does but the insurance system is making a mockery of us. I would personally say that i am being taking the mockery out of rather than me doing it to the them. With the mods listed im paying 300 pounds per month for a car which cost £750 e36 320i which in my opinion is them making a mockery of us. I didnt realise till i forked out that my first installment i can insure a 328i msport for £80 quid less than i am now paying for my 320. I think somehow i would be more of a risk in a 328 tbh

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
of course it does but the insurance system is making a mockery of us. I would personally say that i am being taking the mockery out of rather than me doing it to the them. With the mods listed im paying 300 pounds per month for a car which cost £750 e36 320i which in my opinion is them making a mockery of us. I didnt realise till i forked out that my first installment i can insure a 328i msport for £80 quid less than i am now paying for my 320. I think somehow i would be more of a risk in a 328 tbh

i agree but it ain't a fair world we live in..

and the minority ruin it for everybody else..

my mate took the p=ss years ago he insured his mini with a large sunroof he didn't tell them it was actually a modded convertible mini, he paid the heavy price tho when he stoved it and smashed his girlfriends face to pieces in the proccess the insurance washed their hands of him..

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats for you to tell them and let them decide wether or not its acceptible not me..
Yeah granted. Thanks for your opinions

The million dollar question i want to know but cant figure out is ...
Does my car fall in to the category as a radically altered vehicle and require special dvla registration e.t.c??

·
Bfuk Legend
5,675 Posts
Yeah granted. Thanks for your opinions

The million dollar question i want to know but cant figure out is ...
Does my car fall in to the category as a radically altered vehicle and require special dvla registration e.t.c??
have you changed the engine or drive train, if not then no

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
It's stuff like undeclared engine swaps and cutting the roof off minis that will get the car seized.
In your case, just mention it to the insurance company. It should increase for little bits like that on top of what you have, as it's already had a modded price hike.

As for "paying 300 pounds per month for a car which cost £750" you aren't insuring against the damage to your own car, but for the damage you could cause to something else.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's stuff like undeclared engine swaps and cutting the roof off minis that will get the car seized.
In your case, just mention it to the insurance company. It should increase for little bits like that on top of what you have, as it's already had a modded price hike.

As for "paying 300 pounds per month for a car which cost £750" you aren't insuring against the damage to your own car, but for the damage you could cause to something else.
Yeah thats what i thought. My mate got 200 fine car seized 170 costs 20 a day storage.. no insurance = 6 points every single other mod was declared.
To get it back its got to be trailored home reinsured with all mods then be moted and checked by vosa.:jaw-dropping

Was trying to find out if the same could happen for me for small mods.

Im gonna phone up and put it all right for the few extra quid :thumbsup

·
Registered
201 Posts
As said before there not going to seize your car for some window tints or badges ect ect but its best to be on the safe side and let them know
1 it is to much hassle for them to do all that paper work
2 their more interested in the "big boys" who have corsas with 2.0l engines that is radicaly altered and verry unsafe because the chassis can not take that power it puts their lives in danger and everyone elses on the road

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As said before there not going to seize your car for some window tints or badges ect ect but its best to be on the safe side and let them know
1 it is to much hassle for them to do all that paper work
2 their more interested in the "big boys" who have corsas with 2.0l engines that is radicaly altered and verry unsafe because the chassis can not take that power it puts their lives in danger and everyone elses on the road
lol it was a 2.0 corsa but man did it shift :hihi

1 - 14 of 14 Posts