BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Yesterday I went to an independent dealer to view a 67 plate 540i which I really liked - very high spec car currently on 22k miles.

My only concern is the service history shows the first service has been carried out in November 2020 at 17,500 miles. From my understanding it should be carried out at 17,000 miles or 2 years whichever comes sooner.

Is this a cause for concern? The car had 1 owner, the dealer also said they will do a BMW service on it before I purchase. I'm worried that if oil has been sitting in the engine for 3 years it might have become sludgy. The car comes with 6 months independent dealer warranty which I guess is not worth the paper it's written on.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I have a mate with a G30 540i which he enjoys enormously. I wouldn't be massively concerned about the service running over a bit. That said, 17000 for the first service is way too high. I'd want an oil change after 5000 first time out to help clear out any dross from the initial bedding in of all the parts. Being a 540i it is slightly less of a concern that with a tractor since you don't tend to get so many contaminants in the oil just though general use. Far less soot and things to contend with than in a diesel.

The other thing to consider is that if the original owner didn't care enough to stick to the service program then he/she may also not have care too much about the car generally so it may have been thrashed. Those 540i motors do tend to encourage a bit of spirited use of the throttle. Still the car only has 22K on the clock so the dealer warranty should be worth something if anything serious happens. Design life is 100K so you have a good case if it expires in any major way prior to that but as you so rightly say, most aftermarket warranties are written on Andrex.

If you like the car and the money is right there's probably no reason not to take it. Just look after it better than the first owner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts