BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have fancied a BMW 5 series for the last six or seven years and am now in a position to be able to treat myself in the next few months.
I want the car to be affordable and am most likely looking at a 520D.
I have around £20000 as a budget and would like the latest E60 model I can afford. The only must have is leather seats.
My questions are:
Auto or manual (I have never owned an auto)

SE or Msport ( I like sporty cars but want a quiet comfortable cruiser)

Should I go for an older car with lower milage or newer with a few more miles (I cover around 8k / annum)

And finally BMW or independant/ private sale (warranty)

Sorry if I seem thick but this is a big commitment for me and I don't want to get it wrong ie buy the wrong spec and lose a lorry load of cash come sale time.
Thanks for any help/opinions in advance and I hope to get to know some of you well over the next few years.:thumbsup

Cheers Dave

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
if your covering only 8k miles a year i would suggest a 520 over a 520d. if most of your mileage is around town and A roads - then again the petrol would be better.
Auto's a largely problem free and the manuals will give you slightly better consumption, so pays your money and takes your choice on the mechanical's

SE is more comfortable but imo the M Sports look far better. residuals on the Msport are also higher. stick some normal tyres on an M Sport and get the best of both worlds (as i have done)

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
i think for a big car the 520d is still underpowered and i would have the 525d or a slightly older 530i petrol loaded to the hilt seeing as you dont do many miles but thats just me and spec and condition would be more important than the numberplate age as well but you pay your money and good luck finding the one you want

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys found a very well specced 530D manual with 69,000 miles which really appeals to me. It is a 2008 model and mega cheap for the spec.
Only problem i can see is the guy is an independant trader so don't suppose their will be any warranty to speak of and aftermarket ones seem quite expensive.
Any comments?

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
After market aren't a bad price, but search for the research done by user Avneet_07 on here for the best deals.

I'm no fan/expert of diesel, but am sure the 530 is a better bet than a wheezy 520 though and with the lump not working as hard, I doubt there's much in mpg difference?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will do thanks. I have been driving diesels for the last six years and love the torque and economy. I suppose you pay your money and take your chance

·
Registered
363 Posts
The 530d is IMHO great, just get rid of the swirl flaps if it has em in. Sounds good for a diesel and you won't beleive the performance for what should be a lazy cruiser. apart from the flap problem, the diesel is pretty much bulletproof, much more torquey than the petrol, mine gets 38-41 mpg on a run so economical too.

The SE (which i have) is more comfortable than the Msport, but i'm kinda wishing i had the sport now..... they do look better but that's about it. the SE soaks up the road effortlessly on a run - love it!

deffo get a 3 litre over a smaller unit - to quote clarkson (dare I) you'll pull up to the lights one day in the 2 litre, and a 3 litre will pull up beside you and you'll know you've bought the wrong car... well, that's my slant on it anyway. It is a good balance between performance and economy over the 520 and 535's, though the more I look at 535's the more I want one instead of my 530.... or maybe M5.... Hmmmm for 20K you can pick up a reasonable E60 M5 you know!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts