BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...rocking horse sh*t at the moment. Can't get it anywhere. :jaw-dropping

Was still using a 5 ltr tub that I got from Lidl back in the summer but with running it neat in these temps it's all gone and I needed some more.

Went to Lidl = none. Went to Aldi = none. Went to Costco = none.

Then I went to Halfrauds as I was getting desperate... Yeah, Halfrauds have got plenty, BUT it's the big screenwash con aka "ready mixed". 4 ltr tub of blue or pink ready mixed for £7. A quick look at the label says good down to -2C. About as much use as mudflaps on a tortoise. :sarcastic They also had some different stuff in 1 ltr and 2 ltr bottles, but the 1 ltr bottle is £2.50 and works to -7 and you need to use it neat for that. The 2 ltr bottle is identical in appearance but is £3 :confused and strangely has no mention of any temps on it. Just says in winter use it neat, but in "severe winter" use double concentrate. If "normal" winter use is neat then how the f**k can you "double" the concentrate for "severe winter" if you're already using it neat? :confused Adding another bottle doesn't double the concentration, it just gives you twice as much in your reservoir. :sarcastic

So I decided I wasn't going to succumb to their BS and took a trip to Andrew Page instead. More "ready mixed" stuff. Went to Wilco (formerly Motosave), they had some but £9 for a no-name 4 ltr bottle that works to -5 is just taking the piss. In the end Asda came up trumps - right down on the bottom shelf hidden away is a brand called Prestone which is bright yellow, smells of lemons, comes in a 4 ltr tub and costs £4, oh and it works down to -10C. Result! :thumbsup I bought 3 of them! :lol So if you need some decent stuff that won't freeze, Asda is your place, but be quick because there weren't many left at my big Owlcoates one in Leeds.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If anyone lives in worcester, the country wide garage in upton is doing 2 ltr for £2 and also 2 for 1 with it so bargain. Good down to -15.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anyone lives in worcester, the country wide garage in upton is doing 2 ltr for £2 and also 2 for 1 with it so bargain. Good down to -15.
Is that an indy garage or a nationwide company? One would think nationwide with a name like "country wide" but never heard of them before. :cool

·
Registered
30 Posts
Minus 10* at lunchtime today and -15 last night. Forecast for tonight is -20.
I was using Tesco's Extreme Screenwash (Pink) which is good to -9*c if used neat, but even that was freezing. Halfords are selling screenwash that is supposed to be good to -23*c but only in 1 litre bottles at £3.99 a pop! We'll see how it goes over the next few days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm using the halfords stuff that is supposed to be good to -4. Suffice it to say, the screen wash container is entirely frozen right now...

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I have been getting mine from Unipart for years..... 5 litres costs me about £4.50 with the VAT (do get a trade price though) and it says good to -16 on the bottles when used neat.... Not sure about that claim TBH, but it's still working:thumbsup
Great minds Kevin, went in my relatively local Unipart and they had pallets of the stuff.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never thought to try Unipart. In fact, I don't even know where my local one is come to think of it. Their website is down at the moment but if I've one nearby I'll drop in and have a gander. Cheers guys for the heads up on that one. :thumbsup

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good show Mark. :thumbsup Didn't know there was one on Roseville Rd. In fact I must've driven right past it today when I went to Andrew Page as they're only in the next street! :jaw-dropping :hihi

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Good show Mark. :thumbsup Didn't know there was one on Roseville Rd. In fact I must've driven right past it today when I went to Andrew Page as they're only in the next street! :jaw-dropping :hihi
Always the way Rob. Didn't need screenwash today did you ? It was sunny when I left Leeds at lunch, bit different to fresh snow here :mad

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Always the way Rob. Didn't need screenwash today did you ? It was sunny when I left Leeds at lunch, bit different to fresh snow here :mad
I didn't need it today - well I did because I was empty - but I just banged in half a reservoir of boiling water to use on my expedition to source some proper stuff. Temp was -1 here today but once the engine warmed up it kept it from freezing. Problem is that the roads are wet and with all the grit on them, well, you know how it is when you're following another vehicle. Once I sourced the screenwash I just pulled all the remaining water through using the squirters then filled up the reservoir and primed them so they don't freeze overnight. :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 36 Posts