BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to change the hvac motor on a uk (rhd) 2001 e46 330ci convertible. Things were going fine up to taking the motor out. The plastic wheels were brittle so the motor came out relatively easy as they snapped off. Following the UK version of TIS it stated the motor goes in from the front. Sorry TIS but you're wrong. Now struggling for a way to refit a second hand motor. Has anyone got a Scooby doo on how I can fit the motor, there is no clearance on the n/s as the wiper linkage is in the way. Centrally no room as the engine is high. Hopefully someone has experienced the issue and could give me a workaround.. thanx in advance

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Video is for a left hand drive. On the right hand drive the wiper linkage sits in that aperture, restricting access and stopping the motor from going in. Unfortunately I can't find one for a right hand drive. Many thanks for responding though.

·
Super Moderator
3,618 Posts
Could you put a picture of your current situation with RHD version. And the restriction doesn't change when wipers are on other position?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll put a picture on tomorrow, but I can assure you it does present a restriction. I do hope a workaround can be found. I am considering removal of the rocker cover as a possible solution, if that is the way forwards I will have to bite that bullet...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have attached two pictures, one showing the obstruction on rid as the wiper linkage is on the opposite side of the car. Second demonstrating the wheel not being able to pass through because of the wiper linkage. I welcome any thoughts/ideas in moving this forwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved. Remove the wipers arms and wiper motor/linkage. Motor goes in nicely. The arms are held in with a tapered collet. I slackened the 15mm nut and tapped it lightly with a small ball p45 in hammer until the collet rose. Remove plastic cover, dont worry if clips stay on bodywork. They can be pryed off and refitted to plastic cover when refitting. Remove 24mm nuts then 10mm holding motor in place. Twist and slide out. Hvac motor goes in sweet as.

Contacted a few indies who appear never to have tackled this job before, so i hope this is of assistance to e46 owners going forwards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts