BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question for you guys:

The dealer gave me new keepers doc. I have the V750. reading the back all i need to do is fill another form v62 and with mot i can go to DVLA and get my private plate assigned.

Dealer says no as i must wait for my V5 in my name b4 i can do this.....but it clearly states on V750 i can do this as long as its not stamped by DVLA.(im assuming its referring to new keeper slip).

Don't really want to wait another 2 weeks for V5 to arrive then another 10 days for letter of authorisation. Anyone done this ...the v62 way.....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi mate,

If you mean you only have the small green slip you can transfer your plate on using that.. I did no worries.. Put mine on the day I got the car so nobody knew the age of my car!

Gary

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The issue was the car was on a private plate at dealers..so they trans to orig plate and got v5 in prev owners name. Now they have given me docs and new keeprs green slip with orig plate on. Surely i can take this to office in LEEDS and they will provide letter there and then....don't want to waste journey if I can't...will go on Monday if you guys can confirm it should be OK. Dealer says i MUST wait for V5 in my name.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Message member bazzag , he had his done at the dealers BMW b4 he picked his car up . He should be able to put you right.
I have a somewhat different story to Adam's when I purchased my car from the dealer. I took all my paperwork, including current V5 and my private registration details, to my local DVLA office in Borehamwood. They processed everything on that day including road tax.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Neal,

I'm assuming by V5 u mean your new keeper slip not the full v5 since if u bought the car this is normally sent by dealer to dvla to put on ur name.
If u took the new keepers slip plus v62 and mot cert/private v750 and it was ok then i don;'t see i should have any issues...if thats what u did.

my dealer has sent old v5 to dvla to get orig doc back with orig plate on they then taxed it at dvla and have given me new keeprs doc with orig plate on.
This means either i wait for new v5 with me as keeper on or i could take new keeper slip down with all docs to put my private reg on....

Has anyone done this...?

·
Registered
236 Posts
As I have already said.. I have done this with no issues.. You don't have to wait for the full log book.. In fact I think it even says on the green slip that you can tranfer the plate with just that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Gary,
I'm off to DVLA in the morning with green slip/v62/v750/mot and will do this on the same day. That saves me 2-3 weeks driving on a 04 plate, ...in that case the dealer could have done this for me....how lazy is that of them!

Adam

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went to DVLA today and got letter within an hour. Rang stratstone to make up plates as part of car purchase. However decided to go to local BMW instead to swap plates...plates cost 10 quid, for fitting..you book into workshop for 20 quid...what a rip off... Dealer where i bought car was fitting it free. Anyway rather than drive to Harrogate 20 miles i went to local Honda Stratstone(same company) and got them to supply and fit for £12 with a smile.
Now thats what i call genuine service....how long would it take to fit a pair of number plates...£20-(for labour)daylight robbery.

Then having to buy plates from parts and book in for them to put them on...few days later...honest.....

Adam

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Gary,

Really loving the car, friends all like it and have managed to make a few relatives jealous. Well you can't choose your relatives.

You would think dealers would by now know how this works or do they play dumb on purpose so they don't have to sort it.

Adam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Gary,

Really loving the car, friends all like it and have managed to make a few relatives jealous. Well you can't choose your relatives.

You would think dealers would by now know how this works or do they play dumb on purpose so they don't have to sort it.

Adam
Anything for less hassle on their part Adam :sarcastic...well done on getting it sorted on the same day :thumbsup

·
Registered
7 Posts
This thread has been of great help, thought i'd have to wait to get the full V5 but now looks like I'll be able to do it same day! Beautiful!

Just need to find somewhere to do my plates now and preferably fit them!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Try stratstone dealership not BMW one as they'll charge you to fit.
I tried strat Honda with strat logo same as i would have got from BMW and got it all fitted for 12 quid.

Strat VW or other dealerships may be cheaper.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
£5.50 plus vat per plate. Thats £11 plus vat. Includes fitting. It takes 2 minutes to fit but 10 mins to make.

BMW charge £10 plates and £20 fitting. I know where i would go....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.