BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im after a set of pressed metal number plates for my car,
does anyone know where to get them from?
and which are best to go for, i would like a german style one but with uk badges is that possible?
also would i be likely to get pulled by the police for having them?

any advise please..

·
Registered
478 Posts
AFAIK< you can only used the pressed plates on cars before a certain age (1975 springs to mind but can't think why), I wanted the old style metal black/silver ones, but theyre illegal too on modern cars. Pretty much even if there is some loophole you'll get pulled by the fuzz continually and have to keep explaining, also gives them an excuse to check your car every time..... pity really cos the metal plates are really nice. However I have word that if you get german/french/foreign plates the police don't really care as they can't check whether they're pukka or not, although I wouldn't want to try.........

Tom

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AFAIK< you can only used the pressed plates on cars before a certain age (1975 springs to mind but can't think why), I wanted the old style metal black/silver ones, but theyre illegal too on modern cars. Pretty much even if there is some loophole you'll get pulled by the fuzz continually and have to keep explaining, also gives them an excuse to check your car every time..... pity really cos the metal plates are really nice. However I have word that if you get german/french/foreign plates the police don't really care as they can't check whether they're pukka or not, although I wouldn't want to try.........

Tom
cheers, im after the standard colours white and yellow- black writing just in the style, thats why i was after a GB badge insted of the D, hoping they wont notice haha

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have personally never seen the pressed metal one in anything other than B/W or B/S.

But best of luck and let me know how your quest goes.

Tom

·
Registered
478 Posts
BTW you know those are totally illegal over here right????.........wrong font, wrong layout, no manufacturers name................. if you get tugged you could get either a VDRF (Vehicle Defect Rectification Form) and a reasonable fine or imprisoned under the terrorism act if in London (sounds silly but I have heard of cases, as they see it as attempting to confuse ANPR cameras....).

Tom

·
Registered
788 Posts
im an expert on these plates lol, iv paid 3 fixed penaltys to prove it lol, i get mine from ebay just type in german number plates and you will find them, i will tell you though the german font is illegal definately, and altering spacing is also illegal,putting anything other than GB on the beginning of your plate is also illegal,and also you should have the plates suppliers address or postcode on the bottom of the plates,and you should not buy the plates from anywhere that you dont have to produce your log book. but a lot of police and mot stations will not say anything to you about these , i think that these alterations are illegal under the road and construction rules and you can be fined on the spot by the police if they are being arseholes, repetitive stops can lead to a court case and the number plate being taken back by dvla ( but never heard of this happening ) im anti law abiding and have put standard plates back on my car but still with number spacing changes, you would only get stopped if your car was modified or racing or blatently using black plates on a new car, go fot it i say .

·
Registered
753 Posts
They made the ruling on number plates more stringent last October, the place where i got my showplates from on the 320ci haqd to close as it is now an offence to supply them. Basically if PC Plod is in a bad mood when he tugs you for your plates, you can now face upto a £1000 fine and they can take your M.O.T. off of you :frown. On the plus side pressed plates do look the nuts though hehe.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im a hgv technician, but have done a course with VOSA, so i did have to right to pull anything on the road that i dont think is legal, but having said that i have never pulled anything, so i should no better than to be fitting them to my car, but i will give it a go if i get pulled i will put the standard ones back on and keep them for show plates!
thanks for all the comments tho!

·
Registered
788 Posts
that might be a way to get away with it fit velcro on your standard plates and on the back of your pressed plates stick the pressed ones over the standard ones if you ever do get tugged say im ever so sorry officer they are my show plates iv been to a show and forgot to take them off i will immediately sorry for any inconvenience i wont do it again.

·
Registered
788 Posts
im a hgv technician, but have done a course with VOSA, so i did have to right to pull anything on the road that i dont think is legal, but having said that i have never pulled anything, so i should no better than to be fitting them to my car, but i will give it a go if i get pulled i will put the standard ones back on and keep them for show plates!
thanks for all the comments tho!
so its you and your mates that keep pulling me over for a spot check then is it ? in your green stripped people carrier lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so its you and your mates that keep pulling me over for a spot check then is it ? in your green stripped people carrier lol
nah not my mates lol, i only did the course cos my company paid! i hate them thats why i didnt want to do it for a job, i would have only pulled HGVs anyway! got to say it helps when the police pull ya because i always make sure they see the VOSA licence card in my wallet, you should see there face ha

that is a good idea for the plates tho,

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hehe the last time i got pulled for my plates on my old car police asked what i was doing out that late at night. I told him id just left work, I too am a hgv tech. Police said do you realise that those plates are illegal and i replied no sorry didnt realise forgetting what i told him i did for a living lol. He sure did give me some funny looks but got away with only a warning.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hehe the last time i got pulled for my plates on my old car police asked what i was doing out that late at night. I told him id just left work, I too am a hgv tech. Police said do you realise that those plates are illegal and i replied no sorry didnt realise forgetting what i told him i did for a living lol. He sure did give me some funny looks but got away with only a warning.
haha, who do u work for? I work for MAN truck and bus uk.

·
Registered
788 Posts
im not a hgv tech but i do work on our trucks with our mechanic we run a fleet of 12 scania 94 18 tonners im the only 1 in our company that can relate with the mechanic as i have a mechanical background and the others are just drivers

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i got the plates and have has them fitted over a week now, i have been followed by a few traffic cops and they havent stopped me yet "touch wood"!
its on the J on the plate which stands out with the german font!

correct ivecos are really bad truck!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts