BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought that I would share my ramblings regarding the difficulties (and possible soultions) of using diagnostic software in pre 95 cars (all models)
Fact 1: these cars are pre-EWS cars and INPA will not function unless
a, windows 32 bit XP is used.
b, appropriate ADS interface is used, has to be fully serial port compliant (avoid usb/serial converters).
Suitable ADS interfaces are :doitauto,tiny ads,gerts interface.
Fact 2: Inpa will not access engine module of pre-ews cars because of a "search for ews string" in the software, but will access other modules if implemented.
There is a workaround that involve patching a new piece of code within INPA., and this allows access to engine management. Its in C:INPA/SGDAT and is an. ipo file.
If you wish to fully use INPA/EDIABAS then the above parameters need to be met.
There is some evidence to suggest that serial ports of Dell can prevent full module access even with a correct ADS interface, and that using certain pcicma serial cards can overcome this (especially Quatech ssd-100 cards)

If you want to use easyDis, then you still need the ADS interface, but have no limitations on functionality using VMware etc.

I have thought about using 2 HDD, and have linux/VMware loaded on one for Dis etc, but would need to have the multiplexer-too expensive.!
Does anyone have any thoughts about using Linux os.?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I see a few probs with the above, one being people read most of the stuff in a 1994 no EWS E36 without an ADS and the engine with. Lots of people use Dell.

Don't know why you need a multiplexer? Dual boot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see a few probs with the above, one being people read most of the stuff in a 1994 no EWS E36 without an ADS and the engine with. Lots of people use Dell.
Don't know why you need a multiplexer? Dual boot.
Sorry, I did not make myself clear, but this being an 8 series site, is aimed at both models pre-95, it may have some validity with other model early cars.
With an 850 pre-95 pre-ews car, you cannot fully access the engine management module using INPA unless you use XP, suitable serial ADS interface and connection and the "workaround".
This is well documented on numerous BMW forums.
There is also for some reason individual car (E31) variability depending on exactly the date of manufacture.
If you wish to use Dis v44 within the microsoft/VMware environment, both XP and ADS/serial connection is still required but allows you full functionality.

Should you wish to go the Linux route with multiplexer, its quicker and eminently more user friendly but will cost you more money for the installation.
Having two drives allows you to select your operating system on boot up.(should you have both.) and use either the Windows INPA/EDIABAS diagnostics or the faster Linux multiplexer OS.
People who have moved from the virtual emulation windows environment to use the Linux/multiplexer comment on how much easierquicker Dis is to use within the latter environment.

Unpublished comments atributable to rv8flyboy (of ADS interface fame)specifically states that using a Quatech ssd-100 serial interace with a Dell620/830 allows greater ease of access to some diagnostic parameters in BMW ADS cars using his interface.

I am meerly providing the fold with information that may be of use, to digest or otherwise.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thought that I would share my ramblings regarding the difficulties (and possible soultions) of using diagnostic software in pre 95 cars (all models)
Fact 1: these cars are pre-EWS cars and INPA will not function unless
a, windows 32 bit XP is used.
b, appropriate ADS interface is used, has to be fully serial port compliant (avoid usb/serial converters).
Suitable ADS interfaces are :doitauto,tiny ads,gerts interface.
Fact 2: Inpa will not access engine module of pre-ews cars because of a "search for ews string" in the software, but will access other modules if implemented.
There is a workaround that involve patching a new piece of code within INPA., and this allows access to engine management. Its in C:INPA/SGDAT and is an. ipo file.
If you wish to fully use INPA/EDIABAS then the above parameters need to be met.
There is some evidence to suggest that serial ports of Dell can prevent full module access even with a correct ADS interface, and that using certain pcicma serial cards can overcome this (especially Quatech ssd-100 cards)

If you want to use easyDis, then you still need the ADS interface, but have no limitations on functionality using VMware etc.

I have thought about using 2 HDD, and have linux/VMware loaded on one for Dis etc, but would need to have the multiplexer-too expensive.!
Does anyone have any thoughts about using Linux os.?
I should have made clearer that "out of the box" INPA will only support/read M70/S70 DME modules that have EWS hence the need for the workaround.
INPA is poorly implemented in pre-EWS cars, and there are additional compatability issues with other modules, particularly EKM modules.
It may be that some of these issues are related to the odd slow baud rates implemented within the BMW software environment.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Having two drives allows you to select your operating system on boot up.(
Or just two partitions on the same drive - I get what you mean on the rest

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Or just two partitions on the same drive - I get what you mean on the rest
For some reason, I dont like dual partitions, irrational I know.
I preferr to go the two hardrives installed method, and select the drive on boot-up.
Its partly because I have MB Star C3 installed on one drive, and DIS on the other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts