BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Having owned Audi’s for over 20 years I’m contemplating a 420d Gran Coupe Xdrive.

Love the looks and drive, along with the higher mpg that I can get from my 3.0 TDI A5 Quattro.

I live out in the sticks hence the Xdrive and now do @ 60 miles a day to get to work.

Looking used and ideally want to pay @ £20k.

Want black interior, phone prep, Halogen/LED headlights, Nav and ideally car play!

Are there any other ‘essential extras’ I should add to the list?

Thanks all

·
Registered
36 Posts
Personally, wouldn’t be without heads up display with speed limit display. Fully electric seats with lumbar and bolster adjust. HK sound system. As mines always auto, auto hold. HTHs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JayJay,

Mine would be auto so I'll tick the auto hold.

Can you get heated rear seats as my daughter always moans that hers isn't heated?

Active cruise is also on the wish list but not a deal breaker.

Blue exterior with black leather is proving more difficult than I thought!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Funny thing colour, mine are white, black and grey Metallic with exception of white. Always black leather interior as this means it’s pretty much kid proof. Always M sport too, with electronic suspension adjustment. Never had rear heated seats, not a priority for me but I know what you mean, I just ignore complaints as they warm up quickly. Heated steering wheel is great in winter too. My wife has a new x3 and the entertainment system is better than my 430, allows use of phone apps on the screen which is good, and voice txt too. Also of note, the leather in hers is a definite improvement over mine, while mine very good hers seems more supple so assume there are options there. Good luck with your purchase, BMW are superb and looked after have never let me down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having just driven mine up to and around the Lake District for a weeks holiday I'm wondering how much I will miss those 300 horses.

What power can you get from a 420d without going to stage II for a remap?

Also what mpg does a standard 420 Xdrive get?

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having just driven mine up to and around the Lake District for a weeks holiday I'm wondering how much I will miss those 300 horses.

What power can you get from a 420d without going to stage II for a remap?

Also what mpg does a standard 420 Xdrive get?

Thanks again all.
Don't know about the power, but having covered 85k in my 420d xdrive, I have averaged 52.4mpg overall. Can easily get 60mpg on a long run.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook 15 (C910 / CB5-571) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow - I suppose at 84k it's well run in :jaw-dropping Cheers dazdot

I know I may be asking a lot but are Panoramic roofs available?

Anyone running a stage I map that can tell me how many horses they can unleash?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still looking for my next car.

I'm not in a rush so waiting for the ideal one - lots don't have electric folding mirrors, but I seem to recall that someone told me, these just need coding in as the motors are already there?

Is this true or have I just dreamt it?

Anyone had their 2.0 TDi mapped? I'd love to know what bhp you can get.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm still looking for my next car.

I'm not in a rush so waiting for the ideal one - lots don't have electric folding mirrors, but I seem to recall that someone told me, these just need coding in as the motors are already there?

Is this true or have I just dreamt it?

Anyone had their 2.0 TDi mapped? I'd love to know what bhp you can get.
That is what I have heard about the mirrors as well, but can’t confirm either way as folding is standard on my GT.

As for the remap question, what I can suggest is if you’re already looking at remapping a 420d, then you’re probably looking at the wrong engine for you.

Yes, it is good on tax and fuel, but a proper BMW needs to be well.... 6 cylinders. I have had 2 Mercedes’ before my GT, and they have as well as GT all been 3.0 diesels. Mercedes’ were V6, BM is in inline 6.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Mr Filipov,

I'll check with my indi garage to confirm the mirrors - on Audi's and BM's if it's there he can code it :lol

I am thinking of of test driving the trio of diesels 420, 430 & 435 to compare with my V6 A5 3.0.

I'll then see if I can live daily with the power decrease.

I know - I know

435 here I come :thumbsup

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks Mr Filipov,

I'll check with my indi garage to confirm the mirrors - on Audi's and BM's if it's there he can code it

I am thinking of of test driving the trio of diesels 420, 430 & 435 to compare with my V6 A5 3.0.

I'll then see if I can live daily with the power decrease.

I know - I know

435 here I come
Just a heads up, the 435s only come with xDrive as standard. If all wheel drive is your thing then no problem there. My next BM will be an xDrive no matter what personally, but it’s not to everyone’s taste.

The 430 will be on very similar to your A5 in terms of power, maybe even a tad faster. The 435 may well make the A5 feel underpowered.

One thing I will definitely recommend is the auto box. The 8 speed ZF is the best in the business and BMW do a brilliant job of tuning the software for it out the factory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts