BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my first post on here and need some advice please.

It's a 1984 registered E30 on an 'A' plate.

It's been with the same lady owner since 1984 - the logbook has 2 previous owners for some reason (apparently the husband was a business man and this had tax implications).

It's not been driven very much - 35k miles on the clock.
Last 2 years its been SORN in a heated garage on trickle charger.

Passed all its MOTs since 2006 with no advisories.
In 2006 it had the following:
- Windscreen wiper not operating automatically when switched on (8.2.1b)
- Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
- Offside Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
So I assume it had some major work done around this time to get it through MOT.

Interior is mint - can't see any marks
Exterior looks superficially mint - some little spots of rust.
Haven't been able to look at the rear arches and sills properly - some rust but not sure how much yet.

It started first time and idled absolutely fine, seems to run well.

Asking price is £4,000.
Just need some advice on what it's worth please.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Have you been to drive a 325i yet? If not, go and do that first...

A 4 door pov-spec 316i is a rather dreary affair and unlikely to appreciate as a classic to be honest, unless you can buy it and store it in the same condition for the next 70 years...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply!

Nope I've not driven a 325i - there aren't any anywhere near me (I'm in Leeds, Yorkshire).

The 325i from what I've seen would be about 3 or 4 times more expensive and have >100k miles. I can't afford that right now - if I wait til I can afford one, it's likely they will have risen even further, out of reach.

The 316 - offers me all of the looks, the chassis minus the engine - this one in particular also comes with some reassurance that it's been well looked after. I'm worried another one like this won't come along again. Could maybe consider an engine swap down the line.

Am I thinking about this all wrong?

If you were to purchase this 316 - what would you say it's worth? Or would you just not purchase it at all?

·
Registered
97 Posts
This has made me have a quick look at E30 prices, WOW have they shot up in the last few years! My mates got an M3 Evo thats mint that he put in the garage about 10 years ago and left, i bet he doesn't even realise what they are fetching now, only had about 60k miles as well totally bone stock standard

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
1984 and £4k - sounds overpriced.

84 not 94?

was a 318i 86 101k miles advertised for £1,800 on gumtree....

Oh... https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712061870780?advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=rg214lx&year-from=1980&price-to=2000&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&body-type=Saloon&make=BMW&maximum-badge-engine-size=1.6&sort=price-asc&radius=1500&model=3 SERIES&page=1

That's a 96 E36 316i 79k miles £1,699...

For the original £4k car, it's of the era where rust was a problem and already been mentioned, so might be lurking and terminal.

316i = patience of a saint :)

As a hobby restore, maybe, as a going concern of a car to use, NO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your replies guys, much appreciated!

So, 1) need to check and double check for rust, 2) Need to get the price way down from £4k.

If there's rust or the seller doesn't budge on price - I'll steer clear.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
The e30 316i wouldn't be a usable daily car either, they are woefully slow, no power steering, and no fuel injection, so you'll be tearing your hair out with constant running issues and not many people these days in the know how to fix them.

I would prefer to buy a car that has been in regular use and through regular service / MOT cycles...

When it comes to the e30, it's a 325i or nothing. - I know, I've owned and restored many.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had an E30 320i for a few years, we used to call it the boat, because that's how it handled. If you revved the nuts off it it would just about make reasonable progress, so I can't imagine how bad a 316i must be. On the plus side it was self-healing - I'd get warnings at the MOT about suspension wear one year and none the next :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts