BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've just a week ago bought a bmw 320i coupe 2007 reg and I experienced a few misfires and an eml light came on I took it for a diagnostics and was told that there is possibly an issue with the thermostat or catalytic converter however the errors were cleared and than nothing came up. Recently another warning light has come which disappears after a few seconds and I can still feel the engine misfiring I've gotten it checked out by the local mechanic who opened the coolant cap to find oil in the coolant reservoir however this fluid doesn't smell or have the same density as engine oil and feels more like grease. My question is wether it is a head gasket problem? Ie a possible leak? And if it is how much am I looking to pay to get it fixed? Please help as this is my first bmw and I don't want this to be a bad experience! :(

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
If it's a manual, it's not looking great.
Sometimes automatics have transmission coolers built into the radiator and they can leak sometimes.

The sight off-field chance is that the car has some sort of heat exchanger for the engine coolant to warm the oil, and that could leak internally, but I can't be certain your car would have a heat exchanger like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response and advice yeah it's looking more than likely that it is a head gasket issue. Any idea of rough cost to repair? And is steal seal stuff any good? Or is just a temporary fix?

·
Vendor
4,283 Posts
You need to get a bloke test to see if there is any co2 in the coolant system

There are other ways oil can be entering the coolant system on these cars from other engine components

I have seen this a good few times and fix the problem

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick response and advice yeah it's looking more than likely that it is a head gasket issue. Any idea of rough cost to repair? And is steal seal stuff any good? Or is just a temporary fix?

·
Vendor
4,283 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts