BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

This morning I noticed my oil was low and took the oil cap off and thought 'crap'. Yellow cream mayonaise all over it and all over the inside where you can see into the engine block when the oil cap is removed. I have been doing lots of 2 mile journeys for 7 weeks (University) so it oculd just be loads of condensation but it was a hell of a lot. The coolant had dropped a small amount but nothing concerning. I then took it for an hour drive on some motorways and it was still there. I have now fully wiped the areas I can get too and it hasn't came back yet (after 20 miles). Should I be concerned and get it it to a garage asap? It seemed way too much to be just condensation. What do you guys think? hgf.jpg

Many thanks everyone.

How much will head skimming cost if it is HG? I am a student and money is starting to run pretty tight this year. How much could I sell a 330CI SPORT with the issue to someone (obviously would tell them)? Or would it be better to fix first.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
ide change the oil and give a it a run out...aint gonna be head gasket unless ya really unlucky....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, many thanks for your reply, Is it normal for condensation to be that much?> I thought condensation would just be on the oil cap not actually in the engine block but who knows. I have had some advice to remove the aprk plugs and see what condition they are in, if there is gunk on them then that would indicate something more. Hopefully I ain't really unlucky but again it wouldn't surprise me haha. The car has now done 108,000 miles now and it is 02 plate.

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
on these engines yes they store a lot of engine moisture up...

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I can almost guarantee that it is condensation build up. Only 2 mile trips for 7 weeks? Needs a good hard blast for an hour or so to clear it all out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took it for a good blast for 40 minutes and the picture above was taken after that 40 minute drive, however it was worse before the drive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It can take a few long runs to shift the gunk. My 330 builds it up with repeated shortish trips particulary in colder weather.
As others say it is most likely condensation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts