BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.. I have had a quick look around this part of the forum and i just wanted a bit of clarification if you wouldnt mind.

I have an e36 318i which is just over 140k on the clock... now this engine may last me a good 100k more... as a bmw mechanic said its in very good nick... but i like to forward plan.

I have just shelled out (haw haw haw pun intended) over a grand on the bodywork having rust sorted and a full blow over. So you can understand why i want to swap the engine out when it dies.

My question is... is it worth swapping for a bigger engine.... like a 325i??

Im not sure what i would need to source... i assume it would be the engine with the running parts... and the gearbox??!

Also... do you have to have an inspection once you have swapped the engine..

Electrics and computers is more my game... so im useless with engines :D

Cheers,

Tom

·
Registered
401 Posts
325 is the most common but if your going to do the swap you might aswell do the 328 conversion, you will need a few donor parts for this swap but its well worth it, 190bhp standard and can easily reach 230, brakes could do with an overhaul at this point and upgraded to something a little bit beefier. no inspection needed but you will need to notify dvla so they can change the logbook an then you will need to notify your insurance about the change otherwise your insurance will be void.
depends on budget tho, how much are you willing to spend?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well im looking to be a tight git and spend as little as possible. If i upgrade the engine... i will upgrade the breaks anyhow... as more power = more stopping power needed.

i was looking for a straight and easy swap.... you know less hassle and all that guff.

i think insurance will be a nightmare... oops.

·
Registered
401 Posts
buy a donor 325 for a few hundred and you have all the parts you need, if you look for a 4 door saloon they arnt as sought after so you can haggle down in price, to get a donor your looking at 500ish for a good engine, then you can expect a few weekends worth of work if your not really sure on what your doing, then expect a few more hundred for new brakes and fluids all round.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Hi all.. I have had a quick look around this part of the forum and i just wanted a bit of clarification if you wouldnt mind.

I have an e36 318i which is just over 140k on the clock... now this engine may last me a good 100k more... as a bmw mechanic said its in very good nick... but i like to forward plan.

I have just shelled out (haw haw haw pun intended) over a grand on the bodywork having rust sorted and a full blow over. So you can understand why i want to swap the engine out when it dies.

My question is... is it worth swapping for a bigger engine.... like a 325i??

Im not sure what i would need to source... i assume it would be the engine with the running parts... and the gearbox??!

Also... do you have to have an inspection once you have swapped the engine..

Electrics and computers is more my game... so im useless with engines :D

Cheers,

Tom

You are most definitely in the right place:hihi

First things first with regards to the braking system... On the coupe iS versions the braking system is the same from 318iS to 328iS so whatever conversion you decide on you have a wide range of cars to source the brake components from:thumbsup

With regards to the engine swap, engine mounts and diff mounts are the same throughout the range on the E36 (excluding Compact):thumbsup

Also see here for EWS concerns etc...

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...and-need-more-power-information-thread-t2018/

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info guys..

definately seems like the way to go... i was thinking of a 325i engine... as thats a healthy amount of horses... and hopefully (he says) not too hard to transplant :)

im way too lazy to do it myself so i would give it to a mechanic i know... only 350-400 for the labour.. which im willing to pay if he gets it right.

Now to research the EWS :)

·
Banned
478 Posts
its also an extremely reliable engine... one of BMW's best... will easily out gun your 1.8 in terms of how long it will last, providing its had the regular oil change treatment... Its happy revving too..:D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool... the 1.8 lump is doing well i only have a slight tapping... which im told is fine... and a few heatsheild rattling... and its on 140k... so it could be a while til i need to have it done.

Now... in theory... could i source a 325i rear ender... and what would i need to swap of it?

Im crap at engines as i said so I assume its:

Engine + Loom (providing the starter motors etc are there)

And will i need to drop a disc rear beam on??? Id rather not piss with that tbh..

Then it makes me think... buy a 325! lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.