BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else own/owned a Porsche 944 also? There's actually a lot of people that like e36's and 944 probably for the drifting.. I used to have a Burgundy 84' With the 2.5l 4 Cyl. Cracked dash, Cracked seats, Eventually got rear ended. We were stopped at a stop sign, (four of us in the car). Drunk mexican guy slams into us going like 40. I got out of the car ready to kill this dude and he took off, so I chased him. He went through one red light and I followed him and then we went on the feeder road going like ***mph, and then my rear tyre went from the fender being bent onto it. We barely got like 3 of his liscense plate numbers so the cops said there was nothing they could do and I would probably have to fix it myself, but luckily the dude was an idiot and kept driving around(i would have parked and never touched the car again..) and his whole front end was like obliterated so a concerned civilian followed him until he smashed into a phone pole. I got a very nice bmw 2009 e90 3 series for like 2 months as a rent a car. car got wrote off I got a check for $4k and bought the car back from them for $86. Went to the wrecker yard, bent the fender out with a crowbar and drove it home from houston without fueling up(2 hour drive). I love 944's they're indestructible. Really want to get one over here but I'm worried about getting one with oil pressure issues because I don't have the money to throw at it right now. If you do have one, pics please!

edit: The other guy was driving a 2004ish altima. I never did get to see what the front of it looked like afterwards but it was a pretty rough wreck. It must have been bad for someone to follow him.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I've looked into getting one a couple of times but insurance is always the killer. The badge means insurance and parts etc are expensive but you can buy cars with much more power for the same, if not less money that don't have the expensive badge.

Still want one though.
It would have to be a post 88 car (I think) to have the oval dash and an S2 would be the one I'd really go for.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They started making the oval dashes on the 1985.5 so anything past that will have it. On some advertisements
they say that classic car insurance comes into play, and it's relatively cheap if you go that route. I wouldn't know if this is true or not though.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeah anything over 20 years qualifies mate. But some insurers will give you a classic policy on one that 15 years old, the AA being one of them:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Ah I didn't think the dash came in that early, but I'm no expert on these cars.
I think a classic policy would bring the price down but they normally have mileage restrictions which would rule it out as a daily driver. Worth looking into though if you really want one.
I've just been looking and there are a couple of nice looking ones for sale not far from me :( I wish I had more money...and space.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Ah I didn't think the dash came in that early, but I'm no expert on these cars.
I think a classic policy would bring the price down but they normally have mileage restrictions which would rule it out as a daily driver. Worth looking into though if you really want one.
I've just been looking and there are a couple of nice looking ones for sale not far from me :( I wish I had more money...and space.
A lot of them wont entertain you if you dont have another car as a daily right enough mate:thumbsup

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A lot of them wont entertain you if you dont have another car as a daily right enough mate:thumbsup
Yeah, and maybe not the best car to drive in the rain unless you like going sideways :thumbsup:thumbsup . The engine pitch is unlike any other car, very nice sound.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Yeah, and maybe not the best car to drive in the rain unless you like going sideways :thumbsup:thumbsup . The engine pitch is unlike any other car, very nice sound.
Some of the insurance companies wont entertain you with a classic policy unless you also have a daily driver i meant mate;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some of the insurance companies wont entertain you with a classic policy unless you also have a daily driver i meant mate;)
Oh really? Good to know. Strange rules over here man. Really strict.
Edit: Ohhh thats what you meant by mileage restrictions earlier, I thought that was strange.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Sooo retro cool :D
I was out once in my friend's Capri when a 944 like that turned up on the same stretch of country road begging for a bit of fun. Those 10 minutes were like being in the 80's :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
nice old motors these, takes me bk wen i was little bloke down road had one in red and i use to love seeing it drive past me when i was playing lol.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Love any porsche personally, although some a lot more than others.
That 944 is fab, theres a couple here in Lincoln, Ive always fancied one.
My mates dad had a 924 turbo years ago, and even though the checkered seats and dodgey dash were a bit naff, it did go off the 160mph speedo bloody rapid.
My all time fave has to be the 928 though, stunning design...

Reactions: Sphinx
1 - 17 of 17 Posts