BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. This is my first post, so hopefully it's in the right place.

I've recently purchased a 2004 BMW 535d, and am trying to upgrade the (non-existent) sound system. I'm planning on using the existing BMW stereo receiver (built into the iDrive system), with a Parrot MKi9200 unit for bluetooth and handsfree iphone integration etc, and will add one or two amps to feed the speakers.

The speaker setup is...
fronts: Pioneer TS-A171CI 6.5" components
rears: JBL GTO6537 3-ways
sub: JBL CS1214 12"

My question is regarding how to amp the system. Should I use a separate amp for the 4-speakers and one for the sub, or just one beefy amp for all?

From my old car I already have a Genesis Profile Four available to use ( Profile Four - Genesis ICE Car Audio - Automotive Amplifiers - The home of pure music ). I think it may be a bit weak, but could this be utilised in my setup? Perhaps just to drive the four speakers? And if so, what amp should I get for the sub?

Alternatively, if I was to forget the old Genesis amp and buy a new one, would it be worthwhile buying a powerful 5-channel to amplify all speakers + sub? Or would a 4-channel suffice?

I know bugger-all about this sort of thing, and after doing some reading, it starts to get pretty confusing very quickly. My budget is already well stretched, so I'm obviously aiming to keep costs down!

Any help/advice would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers
Chris.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would get a 5 channel amp to drive all 4 speakers and a sub. Only problem is the cost. But remember you always get what you paid for so best buying a good quality amp.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not to add to the confusion but i had a jbl gto grand touring 6 channel class d running my setup. Although it was 6 channel it wasn't driving my sub enough even in bridged mode it was giving 350rms so got rid and got myself a 2 channel hifonics mono giving 500rms and it packs a punch. got a smaller alpine mrv to run the components. Works a treat. keep an eye on fleebay and you can get yourself a bargain.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Someone correct me if i'm wrong here, but you can only run a sub at 2ohm if it is rated at 2ohm's or if it is bi-wirable. Your sub runs at
4 ohms so it wont work. You should always look at the rms power of an amp. Peak doesnt mean squat. Just get in touch with the seller and ask him if it is bridgeable therfore should produce 300 watts rms.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup I've only been going by RMS values. Okay, so this JBL amp isn't really going to be sufficient to drive a 4-ohm 250w rms sub then, if it's only able to supply 175w at 4-ohms. Back to the drawing board!...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Kiwi Chris - I agree the sound in a '5' is poor if not with the top notch hifi setup, so I admire where you going with this mate!

Maybe you can do a 'how to step by step' to show us your final result.

My stumbling block was how to get the line out rca to feed the amp with from the head unit up front? I read somewhere where its been taken from the rear speakers and converted into line out. Not sure how clean that would sound.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Pinch the sub input out of the rear spkrs is fine, some amps will take a 'high' input, else use a converter which drops the signal to RCA.
The more pwr the better for the sub, I just bought a Kenwood kac1023 on eBay 175£, that's pushing a 12" woofer, bazooka, now we're enjoying the ice :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts