BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2003 E46 convertible with factory Harmon Kardon setup, that I was perfectly happy with.

Last year I had the old (aftermarket) head unit swapped out and a new unit fitted that would do bluetooth etc.

I havent blasted the music out at any louder volumes (im 40+, so getting on a bit), than previously, but over the last month or so, ive noticed a crackling sound, at first coming from on the left tweeter area (by the door handle), but also now coming from the right hand side.

I have tried to google what to do to replace. Im worried that if i buy some direct replacements from ebay, they could be just as bad, or due to age, maybe deteriorate soon after I get them, so am not sure if that is a good idea.

All other talk seems to come from the USA, where there are quite expensive alternatives from BAV sound, or a company called Rainbow. I am having difficulty finding anything in the UK though.

Has anybody here in the UK swapped out their front mids/tweets with a replacement? Im not necessarily after a massive upgrade as i was happy with the HK, and the cars cost me a fortune already recently.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have read that sometimes the crackling can be caused by the BM54 amplifier going wrong. The amp is usually located behind the carpet trim on the left in the boot of the E46. Not sure if it's in the same place for the convertible. Worth checking that out.

As for speakers, for direct fit, Gladen Audio and MB Quart are options as well as the more expensive Rainbow. I have Gladen One 165 in the doors of my E46 coupe, MB Quart QMW165 for the rear shelf, and got them from Amazon as they were on offer at the time.

Someone here recently mentioned B&W speakers from a Jaguar XF will fit into the doors of the E46, so an option to look for on Ebay as B&W make really good car and home audio speakers.

A popular aftermarket speaker appear to be Alpine, either the SPR-60c or the cheaper SPG-17CS. The thing many like is that the Alpine tweeters easily fit into the doors, and you can get them separately as well. See the videos below for a how to on replacing speakers in the front doors with Alpine units

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJlenMNNbFw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7POMKUc2iQA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts