BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A group of friends & I are looking into planning a trip to Germany for a few laps of the nurburgring.

Anyone been? or can offer any advice on when to go? how to book? cost etc??

Not sure about taking my motor round. although very tempted:hihi But other cars involved are E39 M5:thumbsup an S3 & S8 and an AMG C36:hihi:hihi

Should make for a fun time

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
Main cost is going to be petrol and lap tickets. Ferry will be £50-110. Hotel and food depends on you really. There are loads of guesthouses or you can even camp if you want to save money.

Opening times can be found on various websites like this one: http://bridgetogantry.com/index.php?option=com_events&Itemid=72 However, they are well known for changing the dates of public sessions without any notice. Beyond that, just turn up, buy a ticket, enjoy.

Ben Lovejoys site is a good read.

I shared costs with my brother when I went and it cost us about £400-500 each for a couple of days. We didn't try to save costs... We then had about £1k worth of maintenance to his car when he got back! He went recently, drove a lot harder and his car required no maintenance when he got back. It's a hilly, bumpy, 13 mile punishing track so it can be hard on the car...

Personally, I would take a few days off work and go mid-week to try and get some quieter laps in rather than on a busy weekend where you may get loads of track closures. A couple of my friends were out there one weekend the other year and there were loads of track closures due to 4 fatalities...

The insurance situation is a bit of a sticky one. As it's a public toll road you are legally required to have insurance cover and the police may investigate major accidents.
However, as a UK driver you are going to struggle to get insurance cover... Most people just drive it uninsured but can you imagine what would happen if you killed a biker or hit a Porsche..

·
Platinum BFuk Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Main cost is going to be petrol and lap tickets. Ferry will be £50-110. Hotel and food depends on you really. There are loads of guesthouses or you can even camp if you want to save money.

Opening times can be found on various websites like this one: http://bridgetogantry.com/index.php?option=com_events&Itemid=72 However, they are well known for changing the dates of public sessions without any notice. Beyond that, just turn up, buy a ticket, enjoy.

Ben Lovejoys site is a good read.

I shared costs with my brother when I went and it cost us about £400-500 each for a couple of days. We didn't try to save costs... We then had about £1k worth of maintenance to his car when he got back! He went recently, drove a lot harder and his car required no maintenance when he got back. It's a hilly, bumpy, 13 mile punishing track so it can be hard on the car...

Personally, I would take a few days off work and go mid-week to try and get some quieter laps in rather than on a busy weekend where you may get loads of track closures. A couple of my friends were out there one weekend the other year and there were loads of track closures due to 4 fatalities...

The insurance situation is a bit of a sticky one. As it's a public toll road you are legally required to have insurance cover and the police may investigate major accidents.
However, as a UK driver you are going to struggle to get insurance cover... Most people just drive it uninsured but can you imagine what would happen if you killed a biker or hit a Porsche..
Just been reading up on info, looks like if it goes wrong it can cost big time! clear up fees, closer fees, armco replacement fees!

Looks like a mid week booking, early morning, first on! and then drive like miss daisy:eek

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
No much run off though from what i can see...:frown
There isn't. Loads of compressions, hidden crests, bumps, dodgy cambers etc.

In an M3 I should imagine you will be hitting 130-140 in places... I was hitting 120mph in places in a 318is a few feet away from the barriers!

I was a passenger in a car that had a small knock, we stuffed it into the armco nose first, quite hard without bouncing off meters of the stuff. We still took out 4 metres of barriers and 2 posts which cost him 600 Euros. I should imagine in a high speed shunt you could bounce off a few hundred metres of the stuff! You even have to pay for the marshalls time!

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
Been thinking about what other advice I can offer.

Personally I just treated it like a fast road I have never driven and took it easy. Didn't stop me getting it crossed up a few times! People are pretty freindly so do speak to people in the car park and maybe get a passenger lap off an experienced driver before driving yourself. I found my PG4 experience quite helpful to let me know what was coming up next but don't rely too much on it.

Beyond that, you must eat in the Pistonklause Restaurant. The atmosphere is fantastic, as is the food and the beer. Try the steak, that you have to cook yourself on a hot rock.

Ian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.