BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to purchase 4 pilot sport 3's, 225/40's on the front and 255/35's on the rear, all on 18in wheels. I am looking to replace the bridgestone re050 runflats currently installed.

The price I have been quoted for all 4 is £706 fitted.

My questions are,

a. do you think that this is a good price for these tyres?

b. does anyone here have them fitted to an e90 3 series, specifically a 330i and if so what are they like?.

Cheers

·
Registered
206 Posts
its ok for fitted but shop around id say you could get them cheaper ,
as for what they are like not sure but anoyne that has had them raves about them but says they wear very very fast under 10k miles

BTW michelin have a new max performace tyre thats just released at the moment its the replacement for the pilot sport 2 its called the MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT, the pilot sport 3 ins not the follow on from the Pilot sport 2 its a seperate range ;).
The Pilot super sport is the new top dog of tyre :cool
see here
http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23047

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/1/22/21330.html

http://www.motormorph.com/?p=3523

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
They are very good, grip like anything, but as said do wear quick

but would i replace them with the same .... no. to expensive,

at the moment i got Goodyear Eagle F1's on the back and they seem to be just as good

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
That's the same price as Event Tyres, order on line, fitted at home :thumbsup

I put PS3's on the wife's Golf. They replaced PS2's and have to say they are much better in the damp,and as ever, balance up beatifully. I think they are exceelent value for money, quite soft though :eek

·
Registered
206 Posts
I put PS3's on the wife's Golf. They replaced PS2's and have to say they are much better in the damp,
just for info mate ;), they didnt replace the ps2 they are a completly different line aimed at sporty family saloons, hot hatchs and improved wet grip the replacement for the ps2 is called the Michelin Pilot Super Sport or PSS :) this will be michelins new max performance tyre :jaw-dropping :cool

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/parts-and-accessories/2010-11/mich-pilot-ss

http://www.motormorph.com/?p=3523

@OP consider the Goodyear Eagle F-1 asymmetric aswell they have stunning performance especially in the wet and they are cheaper than the Michelins:thumbsup

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies chaps, in fairness to the tyre wear, we dont do that much mileage, maybe 7-8k per year, although would be devastated to have to shell out that much again in 18months or so!.
My gut feeling is that I will go for them, although if the wear rate is too high then possibly change to something different in the future.

As long I see (feel) a vast improvement over the rft's I will be happy!!

·
Registered
206 Posts
You will feel a massive difference just going away from run flats , they suck , I got rid of them off my car and would never go back:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Woops sorry that's what I meant:embarrassed

Thanks afcneal

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
just for info mate ;), they didnt replace the ps2 they are a completly different line aimed at sporty family saloons, hot hatchs and improved wet grip the replacement for the ps2 is called the Michelin Pilot Super Sport or PSS :) this will be michelins new max performance tyre :jaw-dropping :cool
Thanks Davy, didn't realise that, couldn't get PS2's at replacement time and the PSS wasn't yet listed, so I was stuck with PS3's. Reckon I will give the PSS's a go next time :thumbsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the deed is done, I have ordered them from event tires as suggested by Mark, for £685 all in. (I am keeping the rft's as they still have plenty of life, so cheekily asked for the disposal fee off too, which they agreed to deduct on the day!)

Due to be fitted on Sat, so i'll let you know my thoughts once it's done.

Thanks again for all the advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had the tires fitted yesterday; firstly I have to say that I would definately recommend & use event tires again in the future, I thought they gave me a very proffesional service and all 4 tires were balanced & fitted in 1hr.

As for the tires, so far I am very impressed; I never realised how much of the cars stiffnes was due to the rft's!. The ps3's have smoothed out minor surface changes and definately make for a smoother ride.

I havnt been able to really detect a massive difference in grip at this stage, I suspect the wet weather will reveal the real improvment, hopefully by stopping the tc cutting in at every junction!

When giving the car a throw from side to side, i can feel the car 'move' around a bit more, i guess as a result of the softer sidewalls.

Anyway, so far so good!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts