BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently typing this up on my netbook parked in a lay-by... Sitting in my new (to me) BMW 316!

She is great! A tiny wee bit of rust that hasn't broken through on 1 wheel arch, 4 brand new Bridgestone tyres (including a 5th alloy with an old dried up Michelin tyre fitted from the factory), new wipers, new brake pads, and up to date service history!

Just as my luck has it though, I parked in a lay-by that is parallel to a massive deep puddle in the middle of the road, so when a van or a lorry passes by at speed the whole car gets splashed with muddy/gritty water!

So it is safe to say I'll be stopping by a jet-wash station before I go home to give her a nice soapy valet!

Apart from a worn drivers seat, the interior is mint, and apart from the faded bumpers and rust, the exterior is mint!

And the engine is definitely mint, it had been sitting for 2 weeks prior to me collecting it, and the old 2007 battery required a jump to get going, but once it did, it charged up really quick and turns the engine over nice and quick now.

I suspect the anti-roll bar linkages are worn badly as it clunks like a ******* over bumps, and rolls a little too much if you take a cover at over 60MPH.

Despite having over 156,300 miles on the clock, the manual gearbox still slides in and out of gears like it should, and although the clutch is a bit worn down, it doesn't slip!

And to make my day even better, it even came with 3/8 of a tank of fuel!

But wow, what a car! Can't wait to get her home!! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm now sitting in McDonalds eating a double cheese burger, large fries and a large Coke to fuel myself up for more driving!

I can see the beast sitting in a parking space through the window right now, ahh, what a beauty!

Muddy as hell though!

400 miles to go!

I already brimmed her up with Premium 99 Octane Unleaded 80 miles ago, and since then I've been averaging 44MPG on the motorways! Fantastic!

·
Registered
32 Posts
44 MPG you mean? lol Wouldn't want to be sat at 44 MPH on a motorway be boring as hell!

How far did you go to get this car?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah 44MPG, however the traffic is slower than 44MPH at the moment... I'm currently sitting at 0MPH in HUGE traffic jams!

How far did I go ? 554 miles from Northern Scotland to Southern England!

But it was worth it!

Ooh, we have movement!

I know you are not alowed to use a mobile phone when driving... But what about using a netbook on your knee ? Haha!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's a 316 E36 Saloon. Well it cost me £75 for a full tank, and that should get me home, so it isn't costing me too much.

The traffic moved about 2... INCHES! And it is now stopped again. Ugh!

Poor cooling system, I can hear the fan working like crazy trying to keep the needle at half way!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Argh! I've been sitting in the same spot for 25 minutes!

And despite the fan spinning like there's no tomorrow the needle has reached the 3/4 mark!

Hurry up you stupid traffic before my Bimmer overheats! :eek

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i went to York to collect mine - what a journey!!

Nice to see an older BMW still giving pleasure to a new fan! - well done mate

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeeesss! After 30 minutes of the temperature gauge needle creeping closer and closer to the red, we're moving again!

It is only 45MPH while the roadworks are going on, but it is better than 0MPH!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
get your thermostat and MAF checked once your home. temp needle shouldn't be moving around like father time! lol

Reactions: Xmak 330d

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm only 35 miles from home now, and I've just pulled over to fill up with fuel again, as the needle hit the empty mark 10 miles ago.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Trooper!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts