BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone else has fitted these to their BM's? and if so did they notice a difference?

I bought a 3 month old ex demo 1 series convertible a week ago but they seem to have added every toy apart from curise contol and Xenons!

I saw a few guys on the Civic site I am a memeber of had fitted these and they give a HID look to the car, just wondered if anyone had fitted them because the standard bulbs from BM are much better than the ones from Honda.

Its just skinned me £83 with a £15 discount for the full set, now just hoping its worth it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Personally, I would have gone with Philips Blue Vision or X-treme myself, as I have experience with those. Too many cars out there are under the false impression that blue is brighter. The blue visions have a slight tinge of blue, while the diamonds are complete blue.

·
Registered
352 Posts
blue light is absorebed by damp conditions so becomes worse !!

i learnt this when running blue bulbs - Philips extreme are very good.

Also. Osram nightbreakers 90% brighter - apparently

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Agree with sprout - the bluer the light, the less bright they are. Sure they give a nicer, Xenon-style look, but vision is actually worse than bog standard halogen yellowy bulbs in my experience and opinion.

Best halogen bulbs I've had to date are Halfords Extreme Brilliance - always on Buy One Get One Free, so cost about £20 for a pair, 10% whiter light, up to 90% brighter, they really do make the difference.

I've heard just as good things about Osram Nightbreakers too as also mentioned.
www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk sell them for around £20 a pair I think. On ebay you can find them often with a free pair of sidelight bulbs too.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have the Philips Xtream 80%'s fitted to the car, however a few people I have met via other forums have fitted the Diamond Visions and they give off a very white light. Some people have said that they thought the lights were maybe a little too bright in some cars. Just wanted to know if people had fitted them and found the same, better or worse.

I'll see how they go and if they are gash then I know that i'll be able to flog them on ebay no probs. Apart from the fact that they maybe crap the only other issue I may have is that they were never given the ok in the UK market due to the brightness I believe. The nearest ones to the Diamondvisions is the Crystal Vision Ultra, but couldn't find them anywhere.

Thanks for the replies guys

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Philips upgrade bulbs are well worth the money. Had the Bluevision ones on my cars and bike since around 2003. They DO make a significant difference, not only a blue tinit in the light, but on pitch black country roads at night, the light is stronger and crisper so everything just looks much sharper thus making it easier to see where you're going.

The xtreme and diamond vision have a stronger light, but i haven't used them but in autocars test the philips extreme came out on top. Also the quality is superb, never had a single philips light upgrade bulb ever blow on me since 2003!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hid's can be picked up from £40 these days so I'd probably just go for them.
They are also illegal if not factory fitted and without self levelers and headlamp washers. If the dot pattern is incorrect then you automatically fail a mot. If stopped by the boys in blue it's points and a fine, at a minimum.

The bulbs arrived yesterday while at work so my mother went and picked them up for me cause my bm was struggling in the snow for 2 hours this morning lol. Spent 3 hours cleaning but my mum still didn't arrive with the bulbs till 8 pm :( so I'll probably fit them tomorrow lunchtime at work, then I'll get the pics up lads

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
I have not known anyone with HID's have any problems with MOT's or the police. You can also try not to attract unwanted attention by making it look more factory by being sensible with colour tempreture. Whilst not strictly legal, I'll take the risk!

One good thing about standard bulbs that stops me changing to HIDS is that it's easier to pick up a spare from a service station if one blows on your journey home!

Anyway, sounds like your happy with your bulbs. Hope you get the effect you were after :thumbsup

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually need brighter bulbs as I live in the back of beyond up the pentland hills. Gonna see how these fair against my xtream powers that I was used to in the type r. If they ain't that good then I'll be getting my dealer to retrofit the xenons. I only know of 2 guys so far who have been done for HIDs but they were initially stopped for tinted windows then the police decided to check everything. Police up here did say they were cracking down on it but I'm sure they have other things to do.

·
Registered
97 Posts
iamond visions and HIDs, 100W - the whole lot are all illegal - but it isnt policed so it doesnt really matter.
personally if your worried about getting done over by the law just get some OEMs - i have had a couple of my mates getting pulled over for having 100% legal factory fitted xenon headlights...LOL

·
Administrator
4,219 Posts
I thought about checking if they were 100w last night but decided it wasn't a productive use of my time!

A quick google showed that the Diamond Visions are 55w but not legal for road use in the EU. Apparently it is stamped on the bulb's and on the packaging.

There's speculation that the Crystal Visions are the rebranded UK verisons.

Ian

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The packaging is all in japanese so not much Reading on it. They are e marked from Germany. The crystal visions are the 4000k version which ain't too bad either. I managed to get one side done but cannot remove the connector on the passenger side dipped tried for a whole hour to get of off, still no joy. It's a good job I wasn't out at night stuck somewhere needing to change a blown bulb. Oh well that will be yet another thing for the dealer try and resolve when they are fixing the cracked brake light. Which is another point how do you manage to crack the high level brake light on the boot and it's at the top. Only noticed it the following day after I'd picked it up. Grrrrrr

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.