BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard on the radio this morning that the government say petrol will rise AGAIN to an average of £1.40 a litre by April!! What a f*cking joke!

I'm 22 and been driving 5 years and I've seen petrol rise from about 89p a litre in that small amount of time!

The thing I don't understand is that the economy makes so much each year from the motor industry (car sales, insurance etc) and the government is already making ridiculous amounts on fuel aswell as car tax.. so why are they trying to make it so difficult for us to run our cars?

I know there's the old "global warming" argument going on but they surely need to get public transport and the state of the roads sorted out before stopping us driving our own cars!

It's going to come to a point where unless you have a 1.0l with 0g CO2 emissions doing 100mpg only the rich will be able to afford to run a car!

Rant over.. your thoughts please :D

Reactions: MONSTER and tyson01

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I know, as far as im led to believe they take about 70p in the pound which is well out of order in my opinion.

Surely if it was cheaper than a certain amount of folk would buy more petrol and it would balance itself out....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Can we setup a protest - a real one, not like those dumb students destroying everything.

No one is really speaking out about this!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I heard on the radio this morning that the government say petrol will rise AGAIN to an average of £1.40 a litre by April!! What a f*cking joke!

I'm 22 and been driving 5 years and I've seen petrol rise from about 89p a litre in that small amount of time!

The thing I don't understand is that the economy makes so much each year from the motor industry (car sales, insurance etc) and the government is already making ridiculous amounts on fuel aswell as car tax.. so why are they trying to make it so difficult for us to run our cars?

I know there's the old "global warming" argument going on but they surely need to get public transport and the state of the roads sorted out before stopping us driving our own cars!

It's going to come to a point where unless you have a 1.0l with 0g CO2 emissions doing 100mpg only the rich will be able to afford to run a car!

totally agree with you mate - why do you think lots of people have gone towards diesels - any savings on owning a car are real!

Reactions: baderlfc

·
Registered
46 Posts

problem with this is,we live in a society where too many people hide behind their tv and complain about this and that,no one wants to do anything about,everyone wants someone else do it for them,and that is just what this government wants us to do...i remember when thounsands and thounsands of people went to central london to protest against fox hunting which then became out lawed using hounds after the protest,but it goes to show,people are more worried about a fox well being rather than having the balls to mass together and say look this economy is killing us..by doing nothing we are selling our voices to the government,saying yeah you crack on mr prime minister...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hopefully the fuel stabiliser they're on about setting up will cap it at the £1.40. That's still too much but if they don't do something then, you're right, where will it end??
You can't help but have doubts that it will work though, they say they will cut duty when oil rises and up it again when oil goes down, but when has oil price ever gone down and stayed down????
One things for sure, we will never again see the price drop to £1 again!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Tax is roughly 55% of the retail price.

The PM has said he will address in the budget, but currently is tied by the moves put in by the last Govt.

Let's have petrol at £1/litre. Where will the government get the shortfall from then ?

We have had a mis-managed country, huge deficit, it has to be paid back. You all enjoy your free healthcare, schools, etc, and we have an ageing population which increases the burden.

Move to the US, pay $1/gallon and get no healthcare or welfare, it's all just maths, and that maths says we have more going out of the nations coffers than we have coming in.

My rant over.

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Although I dislike the price as much as others, I do support tax on expenditure as oppose dto earnings, purely as I can then exercise choice about what I buy (and therefore the tax I pay). Let's remember though oil is approaching $100 per barrel (it was as low as $10 in the early/md 90s) and although the tax take is too high, a lot of recent rises have been due to the crude prices (cold winter etc etc).

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
Guys did anybody watch the Trillion Pound Horror story on C4 recently? It's not available on 4oD anymore but here's an overview:

http://www.suite101.com/content/can-martin-durkins-trillion-pound-horror-story-inspire-progress-a308090

The most interesting part of the story was exploring the Hong Kong economy and how that slashing taxes actually stimulated growth and they collect more taxes because of that growth than if they'd have kept taxes high. Really interesting story...

We're told all the time that taxes pay for this and that etc but if government had the balls to hand the economy over to the people and slash taxes then the country would be in a much better state and they would collect more due to higher earnings and more growth...

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
any idea on what the diesel is going to be like !!

ONLY in this country do we pay more for diesel then petrol :s

Reactions: baderlfc

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hopefully the fuel stabiliser they're on about setting up will cap it at the £1.40. That's still too much but if they don't do something then, you're right, where will it end??
You can't help but have doubts that it will work though, they say they will cut duty when oil rises and up it again when oil goes down, but when has oil price ever gone down and stayed down????
One things for sure, we will never again see the price drop to £1 again!
yeah your right,we will never see petrol at £1.00 a litre,which sounds cheap in todays standards and yet back few years ago £1.00 a litre was like dammm,,see were introduced to these prices and sooner or later we adjust our way of living around it,which is whats going to happen here,we get comfortable with the petrol price,the irony of the current prices of crude oil is,we and the yanks invaded a country rich in oil(iraq),wasted millions if not billions of pounds and human lifes doing so and yet what do we get from it,what has our tax attributed too,are we any better off...the whole w.o.m.d was a joke never found any and never will as it never existed, the brits left iraq and still we are amongst one country in the world where petrol cost so much,first it was the gulf war that pushed petrol prices up,we gained control of Iraq and things should have settled down,but it didnt now they saying its all about global warming,so we should all drive electrical noddy cars...were fed some much bulls**t every day,is it any wonder why every one is pissed off..if the governement is so worried about global warming why are they pushing for the third runway at Heathrow,i know all about it,i work there,what planes emmision dont damage the ozone.? dont they produce carbon dioxide...its one rule for some and another for us,and year after year we sit back and take it on the chin..there was a great song by the welsh group manic street preachers few years back,,it said," if we tolerate this then our children will be next",and my god is that line so true..

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just think its rediculas bring on hi powerd batery cars with a decent milage span.got to be able to get a electric motor to hit 150 mph lol combine this with super quik 15 min charge time at stations and were laughin . Although theyl prob slap huuuge tax on electric next

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Guys did anybody watch the Trillion Pound Horror story on C4 recently? It's not available on 4oD anymore but here's an overview:

http://www.suite101.com/content/can-martin-durkins-trillion-pound-horror-story-inspire-progress-a308090

The most interesting part of the story was exploring the Hong Kong economy and how that slashing taxes actually stimulated growth and they collect more taxes because of that growth than if they'd have kept taxes high. Really interesting story...

We're told all the time that taxes pay for this and that etc but if government had the balls to hand the economy over to the people and slash taxes then the country would be in a much better state and they would collect more due to higher earnings and more growth...
It is an interesting counter view Lewy, do we spend our way out by increasing disposable income or save our way out with higher taxes. With interest rates being as low as they are, so the mortgage burden is lessened, and disposable income increased, we almost have both going on at present.

Who would be an economist eh ? :eek

1 - 20 of 162 Posts