BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, after following a number of threads on here and diagnosing the front left sensor fault, I now need to know how to access the sensor. Do i need to remove the bumper, please no!, or headlight? whats the easiest way to do this.
Thanks
J

·
Registered
215 Posts
You'll need to drop the bumper but it's really not as bad as it sounds, if you've not done it before your looking at about 20mins as you'll be super careful of not damaging anything.
Follow this https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e63-645ci-cou/repair-manuals/51-body-equipment/51-11-front-bumper/DvnsvJ8 or a real world version here E63/64 DIY: Front Bumper Removal.
Just lay something on the ground first to rest the bumper on, you should have enough play in the various wiring sets to not have to worry about disconnecting anything else, just be careful of the washer fluid pipe, you may have to just unhook it from the tank to give you enough play to set the bumper down on the ground.
One last thing, be gentle with the wiring for the PDC as tends to get a bit brittle after a while.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hsurf, really appreciate your help. Thought I might need to take it off, was hoping I wouldn’t 🙈
Cheers
J

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to close this thread off. New PDC unit arrived, £13 from Germany (Ebay). Undid the screws holding the number on, however only disconnected the side i needed to get at, front left (n/s). Pulled the number forward just enough to get at the sensor so i didn't need to lay the number on the ground or support it, removed the old sensor and fitted the new one. Incidentally, all sensors clicked with the exception of the one i replaced and it showed in Carly as the faulty unit (error code). Tested it was working first then put it back together, repeated test and hey, job sorted. Thanks for the help guys (Hsurf), this forum is really helpful and id be lost without it.
Cheers
J

Link to part i used
BMW 3er 5er 7er x5 z4 Mini Parking Sensor PDC Parking Sensor Parking Aid New | eBay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts